Requisition ID: req20629
Job Title: Environmental Health Officer (Buea)
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Buea, Cameroon
The Environmental Health officer, under the supervision of the Environmental Health Manager of SW/NW, will be responsible for the day to day implementation of Environmental Health/WASH/NFI activities in different communities in the South West Region. S/He is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all EH activities in the program Area. S/He will provide technical and managerial leadership to the water, sanitation and hygiene team in these locations and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs. The position will be based in Buea with frequent travels to the field in Meme and Ndian and other operation areas in the South West.
- In coordination with the EH Manager:
- Implement aspects of the WASH/health and shelter program according to proposals, budgets and plans.
- Ensure adherence to IRC policies and donor requirements.
- Ensure compliance with issued, tools, handbooks, guidelines and standards
- Assist in the Management and monitoring of projects budgets and finance.
- Maintain regular budget control, ensuring spending within available unit cost and budget lines.
- Take responsibility for tracking and financial expenditures for technical activities under WASH on assigned responsibilities.
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities at site.
- Train and develop team (especially the assistance and outreach workers).
- Provide specific technical analysis and feedback to IRC representatives in coordination forums.
- Take technical responsibility for the quality control and monitoring of project activities.
- Ability to make technical design and BOQ of the WASH construction
- Prepare/supervise WASH activities in line with Designs BOQs and TORs.
- Good knowledge of construction work: Rehabilitation of wells, boreholes, springs and water systems, latrines
- Good knowledge of WASH and health activities in the context of COVID-19
- Good knowledge of WASH activities in health centers (water supply, waste management, construction of incinerators, waste pits, institutional latrines, etc.).
- Conduct water quality testing, analysis and reporting according to WHO standards
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures.
- Feed into and follow detailed project implementation plans and tracking documents.
- Coordinate with relevant partners (local authorities, community leaders and other NGOs/INGOs).
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required.
- Conduct quality control and provide technical support to implementing partners and/or contactors.
- Assist in the Assessment and advise on capacity building needs within the team, stakeholder and beneficiaries to ensure effective developments of quality standards for the WASH/NFI activities;
- Contribute progress monitoring and support M&E activities (i.e. PDMs, KAP surveys);
any other assignment as may be required by the WASH Project Coordinator or Project Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Health, Sanitation, Water, Hygiene and Sanitation Engineering or Civil Engineering
- Experience from working as Wash/NFI Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Understanding latest developments and familiarity with current issues, trends and priorities in Cameroon North/west and South west areas
- Experience and knowledge of carrying out technical assessments
- Knowledge in water testing and analysis
- Experience in team management
- Experience in participating in distributions of humanitarian materials Familiarity with international minimum standards of service delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
- Knowledge of South-West and North-West regions use, habit and local language
- Knowledge of technical drawing tools such as Autocad, Archicad, Epanet
- Good skills in Excel and Word
- Fluency in English and work knowledge of an international language are required, Pidgin English skills are a plus
- Analytical, negotiation, communication and advocacy skills
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
Presentation of the file.
- An up to date (CV).
- The names, positions, telephone number and e-mail address of at least two professional references;
NB: Deadline for the admissibility of files: 22nd October, 2021 at 5 p.m. promt.
Rescue Committee is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Only selected applications will be contacted.