RTI International’s Center for Water Resources (CWR), which provides hydrologic and hydraulic modeling services, decision support applications development, data management and analysis system design, and environmental engineering support to government agencies, private companies, and international clients, has an immediate opportunity for an entry-level or junior meteorologist to support a variety of analyses of extreme precipitation events. RTI executes many flood-related dam safety and river forecast system projects in the US, as well as international development projects, particularly in Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
The CWR team includes a wide range of backgrounds, interests, and capabilities, but a common thread is our interest to continue learning and push the boundaries of what can be done to support our field. As a non-profit research institute, RTI also offers opportunities for internally funded research and development to help bring great ideas together for on-the-ground applications to help make a difference in the world.
This position will be based in Fort Collins, CO but telecommuting is possible as well. The successful candidate will:
• Work closely with senior members as part of project teams requiring meteorological expertise to support hydrologic hazards and other analyses
• Develop scripts, tools, and techniques to efficiently prepare and analyze meteorological data, particularly frequency analyses for the support of probabilistic flood hazards assessments
• Implement frequency analysis of meteorological variables, including addressing climate change impacts using GCM data
• Help grow a team and expand expertise
Candidates should have a desire to grow and learn about meteorological frequency analyses and extreme storm analyses. The candidate is expected to have knowledge of complex meteorologic and climate data science.
• Master Degree in Atmospheric Science, Meteorology, Climate Science, or related field with a focus on statistical analysis or Bachelor’s Degree and 1 year of experience.
• Comprehensive understanding of meteorology and hydrology in broad-scale applications regarding probabilities
• To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States and should not require now, or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status
• Knowledge of precipitation analyses, statistics, and quality control of meteorological data
• Demonstrated skills in processing large datasets and conducting statistical analyses
• Demonstrated experience in scientific code development (e.g., in Python or similar)
• GIS proficiency in support of meteorological analyses
• Familiarity with working in the Linux environment and with high performance computing platforms
• Familiarity with radar meteorology, data science, and stochastic simulation applications in meteorology
Additionally, the candidate should exhibit the following:
• Excellent interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
• A positive and collaborative mindset while working independently on multiple projects in a team environment with diverse staff of project managers, hydrologists, engineers, environmental scientists, statisticians, economists, and IT developers.
• Initiative and a willingness to learn and develop new tools to apply as a project requires, including self-led tutorials and exploration.
“Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they can perform every job description task. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may come from a less traditional background. We will consider any equivalent combination of knowledge, skills, education, and experience to meet minimum qualifications. If you are interested in applying, we encourage you to think broadly about your background and skill set for the role.”
The anticipated pay range for this role is listed below. Our pay ranges represent national averages and may vary by location as a geographic differential may be applied to some locations within the United States.
RTI considers multiple factors when making an offer including, for example: established salary range, internal budget, business needs, and education and years of work experience possessed by the applicant. Further, salary is merely one element to our offer.
At RTI, we demonstrate our commitment to rewarding individual and team achievement through a total rewards package. This package includes (among other things) a competitive base salary, a generous paid time off policy, merit based annual increases, bonus opportunities and a robust recognition program. Other benefits include a competitive range of insurance plans (including health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability), access to a retirement savings program such as a 401(k) plan, paid parental leave for mothers and fathers, financial assistance with adoption expenses or infertility treatments, financial reimbursement for education and developmental opportunities, an employee assistance program, and numerous other offerings to support a healthy work-life balance.
$55,000 – $68,000
- Maximum Salary: $68,000
- Minimum Salary: $55,000
Individuals interested in working for RTI please note that as of November 1, 2021, unless prohibited by law, RTI will require all staff in the United States, the United Kingdom and the European Union to certify that they are fully vaccinated in order to enter an RTI facility, undertake business travel, or interact with other people, in-person, on RTI’s behalf. Those who cannot get vaccinated for medical or religious reasons can request an accommodation where required by law.