The LUT School of Energy Systems is looking for a junior researcher (doctoral student) in electrohydraulic systems.
The main task will be to conduct studies and research for a doctoral dissertation in electrohydraulic systems and related technologies, e.g., electrical machines, mechanics, fluid flow, power electronics and automation.
The duties may also include daily activities of the research team, such as supervision of trainees and undergraduate students and assistance in teaching.
We expect you to have a basic understanding of electromechanics, electric motor control principles and hydraulics. It is a significant advantage if the candidate is an experienced user of Finite Element Tools (e.g., Altair, Ansys or some noncommercial ones) and has a certain background in CFD simulation. If the candidate has a background in this area, it can be demonstrated by possible publications or M.Sc. thesis of the candidate.
The areas of interests and skills can relate to efficient electrohydraulic systems, including international trends in
- Innovative hardware topologies of electrohydraulic systems
- Design for manufacturing, reliability and safety
- Use of alternative design and structural principles together with smart control topologies to obtain an optimum solution
- Improvement in energy and material efficiency and reduction in the overall size of the system together with loss reduction and reduction in energy consumption over the whole life cycle
- Digital twins of systems
- Integration of a CPU in a device that reads several sensors and processes control signals
- Modular hardware and controllers in an electrohydraulic system
The candidate is required to have a higher university degree (M.Sc. or equivalent) in a relevant field (e.g in electrical or mechanical engineering), the ability and motivation to complete the doctoral studies within their normative duration (i.e. four years) and a postgraduate study and research plan. The employment contract can be concluded only if the candidate obtains the right to pursue postgraduate studies at LUT University.
The employment starts with a one-year term including a six-month trial period and can be extended for another three years provided that the studies have progressed satisfactorily. The salary is based on the current collective agreement for Finnish universities. The typical gross starting salary for a junior researcher is approximately 30 420 euros a year (plus a holiday bonus in accordance with the collective agreement).
Please submit all the application materials in English:
- A curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
- A research plan proposal describing the research you would like to conduct on the topics listed above (max. 3 pages)
- A motivation letter (max. 1 page)
- A copy of your academic degree certificate and transcript of records. If the original documents are not in English, Finnish, or Swedish, each document must be accompanied by an official certified translation into English or Finnish.
The deadline for application is 24 October 2021 at midnight, Finnish local time (UTC +2). Please submit your application together with the required attachments through the university’s online application system.
Applicants with experience in electrohydraulic systems and having published at least one JUFO-classified paper related to electrohydraulic systems are given preference in the selection process. Verification whether the paper has a JUFO level can be performed at https://www.julkaisufoorumi.fi/fi.
For more information, contact Professor Juha Pyrhönen ([email protected]).
LUT Doctoral school: https://www.lut.fi/web/en/admissions/apply-to-lut/doctoral-studies
Join our team of trailblazers. Clean energy, water and air are life-giving resources for which we at LUT University seek new solutions with our expertise in technology and business. We help society and businesses in their sustainable renewal. Our international community consists of 6500 members. Our modern campuses are in Lappeenranta and Lahti. Video of our strategy: https://youtu.be/PpFawdT8CDE
Technical support for using the recruitment system: [email protected]
Application period starts: 2021-10-08 16:00Application period ends: 2021-10-24 23:59