The WateReuse Association Texas Section (WRTX) is searching for a part-time Managing Director. The WateReuse Association’s mission is to engage our members in a national movement for safe and sustainable water supplies, to promote acceptance and support of recycled water, and to advocate for policies and funding that increase water reuse. The Texas Section is growing and looking for a Managing Director to support its activities. The WateReuse Association currently has over 35 organizations with Texas membership and continued growth within the state is critical to the National Association’s future success.
The WateReuse Association is the nation’s only trade association solely dedicated to advancing laws, policy, funding, and public acceptance of recycled water. WateReuse represents a coalition of over 500 utilities, businesses, and institutions engaged in water recycling.
Position Overview: The Managing Director is responsible for supporting the WRTX Board of Trustees and Committees and implementing programs related to advocacy, education, and member engagement. The incumbent will be responsible for developing, tracking, and maintaining a file of Board and Committee goals, while providing management support to accomplish such goals.
This individual will provide leadership and management for advocacy efforts to advance laws, policy, and funding to increase water reuse. Such leadership will include identifying advocacy opportunities and implementing activities and partnerships to achieve WRTX goals; it is critical to leverage efforts from complementary Texas member organizations. Other responsibilities include engaging with membership, developing educational outreach content and opportunities, and serving as a point of contact to National WateReuse Association. This position will support WTRX in continuing to collaboratively host an annual conference with the Water Environment Association of Texas (WEAT) and the Texas Section of American Water Works Association (TAWWA).
This position reports to the WRTX Board of Trustees.
The Managing Director has the following specific responsibilities:
Management Support for Board of Trustees and Committees
- Provide administrative support for the Board and Committees. This includes maintaining official records and documents in a shared cloud-based application.
- Prepare and provide quarterly section reports for WRTX leadership and WateReuse National Board of Directors.
- Coordinate WRTX support with the WateReuse National Section Liaison.
- Leverage efforts from complementary Texas member organizations (e.g., WEAT, TAWWA, Texas Water Conservation Association, Texas Desalination Association, Texas Association of Clean Water Agencies)
- Attend meetings and work collaboratively with Membership, Outreach, and Research Committees.
- Attend monthly WRTX Board of Trustee meetings and provide administrative support.
- Attendance will include both virtual meetings and in-person meetings with expected travel within Texas on a quarterly frequency and attendance at the annual WateReuse Symposium within the continental U.S.
- Provide regulatory monitoring and advocacy services that align with WateReuse Texas’ goals.
- Assist with WRTX annual conference as necessary.
- Work collaboratively with the WRTX Outreach Committee.
- Develop WRTX social media presence through LinkedIn and other social media outlets.
- Work collaboratively with WateReuse Communication Director to update WRTX web content and generate new educational content.
Member Engagement, Recruitment, and Retention
- Identify opportunities for member engagement.
- Support and track membership recruitment efforts by members of the WRTC Board.
- Coordinate across other relevant organizations (e.g., Texas Chapter American Water Works Association, Water Environment Association of Texas, South Central Membrane Association).
- Work collaboratively with WateReuse National Membership Director to implement new member onboarding process and manage the annual renewal process.
A successful candidate will possess the following skills and abilities:
- Highly motivated, self-starter willing to create a new role leading a volunteer organization.
- Strong communication and personal interaction skills.
- Discerning listener.
- Basic understanding of the water industry or broader environmental policy community.
- Interest in the issues affected by the work of the WateReuse Association.
- Ability to work effectively with a small team of professionals.
- Undergraduate degree.
- At least 5 years working in the non-profit or advocacy sector. Experience in the environmental or water policy space is a plus.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products.
The Managing Director is a part-time position with the employee being eligible for benefits if they work more than 30 hours a week. Applicants should be based out of Texas or able to travel to regions within Texas on a quarterly frequency. WateReuse provides competitive compensation that can be flexible to employee’s needs (e.g., employee of WateReuse Association or contract consultant). Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume and writing sample.
Job Type: Part-time
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- One location
Work Location: One location