Botswana is at the early stages of its NAP Process. The country has developed the NAP Framework in 2020 as a foundational document for the NAP Process. The NAP Framework was developed with technical support from the NAP Global Network.
Botswana requests support to prepare and submit its first Adaptation Communication (AdCom). The Adaptation Communication for Botswana will present an opportunity to fill some gaps in the adaptation that were identified in previous initiatives. It will enhance learning and understanding of adaptation needs and actions, strengthen adaptation action and support for Botswana, increase visibility and profile of adaptation and its balance with mitigation.
Botswana has conducted vulnerability assessments for four sectors namely agriculture (crops and livestock), water, health, and biodiversity. Although gaps were identified which call for further work, there has been demand from stakeholders consultations to expand assessment to other sectors such as infrastructure (including transport and buildings) and settlement. The Policy also highlights the intent to achieve sustainable development and climate-resilient infrastructure.
The consultant will conduct an initial vulnerability assessment of the infrastructure sector by performing a desk-based literature review and consulting with key stakeholders. In parallel, the consultant will also prepare a draft and final AdCom with the Government of Botswana.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g., public policy or another related social science discipline)
- Demonstrated expertise in climate change adaptation and the NAP process, experience in climate adaptation in Botswana is a strong asset
- Familiarity with the UNFCCC process
- Strong research and writing skills
- Strong workshop organization and facilitation skills
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- To apply for this consultancy, please submit a statement of interest, CV (4 pages max), and expected daily rate to [email protected], specifically mentioning in the subject “Short-term Consultancy in Botswana – Development of an AdCom.” If you are selected for the consultancy, you may be required to provide proof of your daily rate (e.g., a copy of a contract of at least 20 days that states a daily rate).
- In your application, please clearly demonstrate how you meet the criteria outlined above.
Application deadline: October 22, 2021
Start date: November 08, 2021
Read the full Term of Reference.