REPUBLIC OF MALAWI
MINISTRY OF ENERGY
Mpatamanga Hydropower Project
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
(CONSULTING SERVICES – INDIVIDUAL SELECTION)
Project: Mpatamanga Hydropower Project
Loan No./Credit No./ Grant No.: IDA-V3570
Assignment Title: Consultancy Services for Environmental Specialist (Member of Panel of Experts)
Reference No…: MW-DOEA-249602-CS-INDV
Issued date: 7thOctober, 2021
The Malawi Government through the Ministry of Energy (MoE) with support from World Bank has identified financing for the development of Mpatamanga Hydropower Project (MHPP), and intends to apply part of the proceeds for consulting services for Environmental and Social Safeguards panel of experts.
The consulting services (“the Services”) include undertaking independent review of the project Environmental and Social instruments and provide technical support to the Government of Malawi during project preparation, project implementation and construction, and throughout first year of project operation of the MHPP. He/She will be a member of panel of experts. The assignment is for two (2) years for the planning phase with possibility to continue in the subsequent phases. The detailed Terms of Reference (TOR) for the assignment can be obtained at the address given below.
The MoE now invites eligible individuals (“Consultants”) to indicate their interest in providing the Services. Interested Consultants should submit their curriculum Vitae (CVs) providing information to demonstrate that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the Services. The Environmental Specialist shall possess:
- At least Ph.D or Master’s degree in Environmental Science / Engineering / Management of Natural resources, or other acceptable discipline;
- Preferably a minimum of 15 years relevant professional experience particularly in environmental management of hydropower projects and other large infrastructure projects;
- Demonstrated experience in environmental impact assessment practice and preparation of mitigation/prevention approaches, compensation plans, especially addressing impacts of hydropower on the environment and natural resources;
- Experience in conducting and preparing EIA/ESMP, monitoring plans, restoration plans, experience as 3rd-party auditor for ISO certification (e.g. ISO 9001, 14001, 31001) and/or preparation of relevant environmental management systems;
- Experience of working with World Bank Group Safeguard Policies and Performance Standards.
The attention of interested Consultant(s) is drawn to Section III, paragraphs, 3.14, 3.16, and 3.17 of the World Bank’s “Procurement Regulations for IPF Borrowers” dated November 2020 (“Procurement Regulations”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest.
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant (INDV) selection method set out in the Procurement Regulations.
Expressions of Interest including updated detailed curriculum vitae and copies of professional certificates must be delivered in a written form to the address below (in person, or by surface mail, or by e-mail) by 20thOctober ,2021
Further information can be obtained at the address below, Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 15:30 hours:
Internal Procurement and Disposal Committee
Ministry of Energy,
Private Bag 309,