Requisition ID: req20278
Job Title: Senior Environmental Health Officer
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Pugnido II Camp, Gambella, Ethiopia
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian international NGOs, provides relief, rehabilitation and development support to vulnerable people and communities over 30 countries. We began work in Ethiopia in 2000 in response to severe drought in Ethiopia’s Somali region and are currently providing assistance to Ethiopians and refugees in six regions in Ethiopia, implementing emergency and development programs in health, water and sanitation, economic recovery and development (ERD), women’s protection and empowerment, education, child protection, and multi-sectoral emergency response.
Technically reporting to the EH manager based in Gambela, and administratively to the Camp Manager, the senior EH officer will provide leadership and management of all aspects of IRC’s Pugnido camp WASH intervention. He/She will be responsible for ensuring program quality, completion of activities within allocated funding and project period. The senior officer will also receive technical assistance and coaching from the assistant EH coordinator based in Addis as needed.
· Prepare review all water, supply systems technical designs & BoQs, including electromechanical equipments, pipes, borehole drilling, , water points, reservoirs and other related constructions;
· Ensure proper implementation of the Pugnido project with-in allocated budget and timeline meeting international standards.
· Ensure proper set-up and function of Operation & Maintenance of water supply systems in the camp.
· Prepare monthly field reports covering all aspects of the project and operation.
· Coach and supervise environmental officer, Assistant EH officer plumbers, and store keeper,. Contribute in preparation of donor and government reports
· Identify and ensure the provision of relevant and appropriate trainings for staff, partners and beneficiaries to enable to operate and maintain the water supply facilities
· Develop detailed activity and budget plans for EH activities under the project, and monitor progress against plans ensuring that objectives and indicators are achieved.
· Conduct regular project review meetings with staff to assess the level of achievement of project targets. Visit all program sites regularly and provide on-site mentoring and coaching to EH staff in the field.
· Ensure that program spending is in line with original plan and burn rate balances with implementation progress.
· Work with finance, HR and supply chain to ensure EH staffs follows correct procedures in the course of project implementation.
· Communicate regularly with finance and supply chain so as to facilitate timely delivery of supplies and payments.
· Build links with WASH and other Implementing partners working in the Camp and communities to share knowledge, experience and ideas
· In liaison with Camp Manager, represent IRC on different coordination meetings, assessments, and cluster and taskforce meetings.
· Ensure regular communication with camp Manager and EH manager for feedback, updates and guidance as required.
· Any additional tasks as assigned by supervisor
- BSc in Water Resources, Hydro-geology, Hydraulics, Environmental, Civil Engineering or si
- 2 years of relevant experience with the first degree or diploma with 5 years of experience
- 1 years of relevant experience plus post graduate degree.
- NGO experience is a plus
- basic supervisory/managerial skills.
- Technical and report writing skills
- Computer literate.