Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. (Cardno) is seeking a Senior Development Specialist (SDS) to join our Communities, Infrastructure, and Environment (CIE) practice. We are searching for an enthusiastic high performer who has a passion for supporting environmental (climate change, biodiversity, conservation) projects in developing countries.
Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. (Cardno) is seeking a Senior Development Specialist (SDS) to join our Communities, Infrastructure, and Environment (CIE) practice. We are searching for an enthusiastic high performer who has a passion for supporting environmental (climate change, biodiversity, conservation) projects in developing countries. Candidates must have experience working on donor-funded or private-sector led initiatives in the one or more of the following areas:
- Natural resource management
- Compatible land use and forestry
- Biodiversity and conservation
- Environmental policy and environmental management
- Water resource management and security
- Climate change risk management and sustainability
The SDS will contribute to business development, project management, and technical assignments. The primary duties and responsibilities of the SDS will include, but are not limited to:
Business Development (50%)
- Contribute to pre-proposal and proposal efforts through coordination, market research, recruitment, and other areas as required.
- Support opportunity teaming efforts including identification of partners, evaluation of qualifications, partner outreach, and relationship management.
- Support development of technical approaches and development of budgets.
- Provide written inputs to various sections of proposals including technical narratives, staffing, qualifications, management, and other, as required by the requests for proposals (RFPs).
- Participate in overseas marketing initiatives, targeting key private and public sector stakeholders and/or USAID.
- Liaise with recruiters and field staff to identify, interview and recruit the best candidates for upcoming projects.
- Conceptualize and draft marketing materials in consultation with communications staff.
- Identify new opportunities through desktop and in-country research.
Project Management (30%)
- Serve as project manager for designated projects including deliverable coordination, technical direction, staffing, contractual/subcontract oversight, budgeting, monitoring of progress, review of final products.
- Liaise between field and headquarters office teams on operational, contractual, human resource, and administrative matters. Maintain and manage a positive working relationship with consultants and clients.
- Draft terms of reference for technical assistance activities for designated projects. Recruit subcontracts and consultants to carry out required tasks.
- Monitor project budgets, project invoices, and monthly projections.
- Identify budget and schedule risks, monitor and report on performance variances.
- Support start-up and close out of projects as needed.
- Train and mentor junior staff.
- Undertake technical research to support on-going project and practice initiatives, including in key areas of growth.
- Engage in short-term technical assignments on projects.
- Coordinate and contribute to the completion of technical products.
- Support field implementation activities.
- Facilitate of workshops and stakeholder meetings during field visits for relevant projects and/or proposals.
- Represent Cardno as a technical professional, to include presentations on technical topics at external networking events and participation in subject matter working groups internally and externally.
- Contribute to technical reports and thought pieces for clients, internal Cardno reports, and the broader international development community.
- Undergraduate degree in Environmental Management, Environmental Policy, Climate Change Studies, Conservation Management, Sustainability.
- Overseas work experience with donor-funded initiatives (such as USAID) in a relevant technical field (e.g., natural resource management, land use, biodiversity and conservation, environmental policy, environmental management, climate change adaptation, water security).
- 4-7 years of progressively responsible technical experience in international development working on the project activities in the aforementioned technical fields.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience in project coordination for various clients, public and private sector.
- Experience providing business development and proposal coordinating support for United States Government development institutions and other international development organizations.
- Strong analytical capabilities, critical thinking skills.
- Clear and concise writing capabilities.
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Self-motivated with attention to detail and passion for development.
- Willingness to travel overseas to developing countries up to 20% of the time.
- US work authorization required.
- Master’s degree / MBA focused on Environmental Management, Environmental Policy, Climate Change Studies, Conservation Management, Sustainability.
- Overseas work experience on a USAID-funded initiatives.
- Private sector experience working on issues such as environmental and social impact, sustainability reporting, and/or climate risk.
- Project management experience on large, complex donor-funded initiatives.
- Experience leading and writing proposals for United States Government development institutions and other international development organizations.
Equal Opportunity statement for US based applicants
Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources.
Cardno does not accept unsolicited resumes from any 3rd party agencies. No fee will be paid to 3rd parties who submit unsolicited resumes to any Cardno employee. Resumes from approved vendors must be specifically requested by Cardno and approved by the Cardno Talent Acquisition Team.