The Policy and Governance Specialist with be responsible for the development and operationalization of Western Kenya Water Program’s Policy and Governance Strategy. S/he will have a key role in liaising and collaborating with internal and external partners, including the target county governments, water utilities, water sector institutions, civil society organizations, communities and private sector actors. S/he will support the development of the necessary legislation & policy framework and steer policy dialogue that stimulates enabling environment & investments for expanding water services at County and National level. The position will report to the Deputy Chief of Party and will be expected to work directly with other staff in water service delivery and water resources management.
- Conduct a landscape assessment of county WASH policies and legislation for the sector and recommend improvements by designing and leading strategies to strengthen the capacity of county governments on the established gaps.
- Support in budget tracking and investment planning to influence budgetary allocations towards water services WSP staff in key technical areas of WASH planning and budgeting budget allocations in target counties.
- Support target counties develop / refine their water policies & legislation to ensure proper enabling environment.
- Conduct stakeholder assessment and support strengthening WASH stakeholder coordination in target counties and national level
- Support policy, stakeholder and community dialogue initiatives to enhance participation of right holders in planning and prioritization of WASH investments in target counties.
- Support capacity strengthening initiatives in target county governments and communities to enhance accountability and service provision
- Support the program team in undertaking targeted research to inform evidence-based advocacy.
Education & Experience:
- A degree in economics / water engineering / Public Policy and Administration / governance, communication / development studies / urban development or other relevant field. Possession of a masters degree in relevant field will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years’ working experience in policy advocacy & governance in the water sector and good understanding of the water sector institutions & actors in Kenya.
- Experience in analyzing complexity & designing and implementing investment plans, policy, governance and advocacy strategies that respond to the key structural weaknesses standing in the way of universal access to WASH.
- Good written and verbal communication and strong report writing skills
- Strong diplomacy and ability to engage with broad range of stakeholders at local and national levels
- Strong relationship management skills, with the ability to engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
If you are interested and meet the above qualifications, please apply by sending your CV with a cover letter indicating the names of at least three referees indicating the position title in the subject line to [email protected].
The deadline for receiving applications is October 22, 2021.
Kenya Markets Trust is an equal opportunity employer. Female Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.