Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The WASH Engineer shall work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager or the Head of Program. The WASH Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any assigned Water Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Engineering disciplines, supervision, commissioning and preparation of related documentation works. He/she is responsible for ensuring high quality design documentation, effectiveness, transparency, and integrity and assisting in ensuring that the site works are carried out on time and on or within budget, utilizing specialized WASH/ Hydraulic Engineering Software and applications (e.g. EPANET 2, or WaterCAD or similar software). The tasks would involve, but not limited to, the following:
- Develop/ prepare or review the design of the WASH components/sections of projects;
- Assist in producing Terms of References for Consultancy Services; Designs, Drawings, Technical Specifications, Scope of Works, Bills of Quantities, Cost Estimations, Design Calculations, related reports for Works and Supply of Goods Contracts;
- Assist Project Managers in the preparation of Tender Documents (Concerned with Consultancies, Supply of Goods, and Works) and evaluation of Proposals;
- Assist, through the Project Manager, and/or Head of Program, the Project Team members (Architects, Engineers, Draftsperson and Quantity Surveyors, etc..) in the planning of projects, scheduling of tasks and developing an integrated design;
- Assist in the coordination and follow up with the contractors, partners, and stakeholders for the various activities related to WASH components/sections of projects.
- Perform the tasks in accordance with the applicable Quality Assurance (QA)/Quality Control (QC) protocols and regulations and requirements;
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs of his/her tasks and highlight possible late delivery prior to the event;
- Assist in keeping files for all given tasks and instructions, measuring quantities of work and material on site; and
- Any other relevant task that might be assigned to the Electric Engineer.
Specifically, the WASH Engineer will be responsible for the following substantive tasks:
- Assist in Preparing the design briefs, design reports, comprehensive design documentation, calculations, drawings, specifications, schedules, Bills of Quantities, Cost Estimations, related reports and other project documents for WASH engineering for projects utilizing research, development, relevant international standards and codes and good engineering practices and according to the client’s design requirement, UNOPS design manual, project requirements and budget;
- Review WASH designs for Infrastructure and facilities projects in terms of accuracy, suitability to overall design requirements, including identifying improvements in the designs and to participate in proposing practical solutions;
- Perform assessment and survey of existing Water Networks (to include Potable Water: including transmission and distribution, water storage, pumping stations; Sewage and rainwater networks, Pumping Stations including all components);
- Perform expansion forecast for Water Networks based on metering data, socioeconomic and demographic factors, etc..
- Identify and apply the international standards to be adopted for each category of designs;
- Conduct WASH and related electromechanical systems assessment of facilities, and produce reports and corresponding estimates;
- Design and review of Utility infrastructure facilities- new networks, rehabilitation, expansion and extension (to include Potable Water: including transmission and distribution, water storage, pumping stations; sewage and rainwater networks, Pumping Stations including all components) utilizing specialized WASH/Hydraulics Engineering Software and applications (e.g. EPANET 2, or WaterCAD or similar software);
- Respond, through the project manager, to the queries raised by stakeholders and UNOPS Design Review Team during final review of completed design package;
- Provide the Project Manager and Project Team with all information to execute the project in a timely manner and within the budget allocated;
- Assist in the preparation of Project Schedules (utilizing Primavera, MS Project, etc.,), and assist in performing periodic updates and revisions of the schedules to meet the targets;
- Assist in preparing daily, weekly, monthly reports;
- Produce high quality Auto CAD drawings;
- Assist in: carrying out technical reviews (of the Consultants’, Suppliers’, or Contractors’ Technical Submittals, Materials catalog sheets, Shop Drawings, As-Built Drawings, reports, deliverables, etc..), conduction site inspections, assessments, quantity surveying and preparing reports as required and providing advice on suitable alterations, guiding contractors on all related issues, and ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by UNOPS, while delivering the projects within the set time and budget constraints; and
- Assist in coordinating testing, commissioning, training and handover of systems deliverables to clients.
Governance, Monitoring and Reporting
- Maintain records for all site memos and instructions, inspections, testing, shop drawings review, measured quantities of work and material on site, photos, etc..
- Assist in archiving WASH engineering related materials
- Assist in scheduling requested tasks related to WASH works
- Maintain records, compile periodic reports and any specific reports required by UNOPS standard procedures
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
- Perform other related duties as requested by the Project Manager.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design and renovation phases.
- Bachelor’s degree in Water Supply and Sanitation Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Civil, or Mechanical Engineering from a reputable University is required.
- A Master’s degree from a recognized University is desired.
- Membership of the Lebanese Order of Engineers (Beirut or Tripoli) is mandatory.
- Possession of Project Management Certificate is an asset.
- General professional experience: At least 2 (two) years in supervising Utility Water Distribution Networks- Transmission, Distribution, Water Treatment, Storage, Pumping Stations, WASH infrastructure engineering, is required.
- Specific professional experience: At least 1 (one) year of professional experience in the preparation of complete design documents (Drawings, Technical Specification, Bills of Quantities, Cost Estimations, etc..), of Utility Water Distribution Networks (Transmission, Distribution, Water Treatment, Storage, Pumping Stations, WASH infrastructure engineering), is required.
- Previous experience in designing and supervising the Water components of urban/rural Solar water schemes is desirable.
- Work Experience with an international organization and/or UN Agencies will be well regarded
- Experience in computer design software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Version) is required.
- Demonstrated computer ability in using specialized WASH/Hydraulic Engineering design software and Applications (e.g. EPANET 2, or WaterCAD or similar software) is required.
- Demonstrated computer ability in using MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Power Point, etc.) is required.
- Experience in computer scheduling software, particularly Primavera and/or MS Projects is an asset
Excellent presentation, report writing, fluency and communication skills in English and Arabic are required. Working knowledge of the French Language is an asset
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA / Retainers
Contract level: LICA 8
Contract duration:Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- This is a local position open for nationals only.
- Beirut is designated as non-family duty station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.