General Description of the Programme:
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in North West Aleppo both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced households.
In 2021, GOAL will embarked on an ambitious 12-month project to meet the WASH needs in camps and communities in North West Syria. Water supply, sanitation, environmental health and hygiene promotion activities will be organized with councils, camp management and residents and aim to enable basic services to continue and reach minimum standards as defined by SPHERE
Reporting to the Deputy WASH Coordinator, the Senior WASH Officer is part of a four-member team based in GOAL’s office in Antakya, Turkey. The role will focus on providing supporting technical operations within Syria, the implementation of technical solutions to mitigate for system constraints and Sector Coordination.
The Senior WASH Officer will be the main focal point with GOAL’s Logistics team to ensure the technical quality of procurement, efficient delivery of equipment and technical oversight on the implementation of maintenance and repairs works.
The Senior WASH Officer will be a focal point for the clusters and will attend coordination meetings with clusters and donors as required.
This position will be focusing on leading on assessments, support proposals writing, supervise implementation and produce regular reports as required.
This role will be based in Antakya, Turkey, with occasional travel to Gaziantep, Amman and, ideally, to Syria field offices (Azaz and Idleb).
This position directly reports to the deputy WASH Coordinator based in Jordan
Duties, objectives and competencies:
- Provide technical support to GOAL’s WASH team to complete detailed assessments of water and Sanitation infrastructures in camps and communities.
- Design technical assessment tools and support the team in Syria to implement assessments.
- Ensure that agreed donor targets are met and that all variances or required programme changes are appropriately documented and communicated with the deputy WASH Coordinator in a timely fashion
- Represent GOAL in relevant coordination mechanisms and act as a focal point between GOAL WASH team and WASH Cluster.
- Support the deputy WASH coordinator in managing the field team by participating in regular meetings and communication with the field team.
- Submission of weekly and Monthly WASH reports.
- High level input on quarterly and final reports as required.
- Contribute to development of GOAL Syria’s WASH program response strategy
- Input into proposal and budget development processes
- Work closely with deputy WASH Coordinator and the WASH field manager to find innovated and sustainable solutions for issues related to the program implementation.
Financial, Logistics, HR and Administration
- Coordinate with procurement and other support units to ensure work is being done on time with the best quality
- Work with the procurement team to develop procurement plans and ensure timely implementation of WASH projects.
- Coordinate between the WASH Field team and Turkey Procurement team to ensure best performance of contracts management.
- Under the supervision of the deputy WASH Coordinator, responsible for authorizing budget expenditures in line with Country Office financial management procedures and Scheme of Delegation.
- Under the supervision of the deputy WASH Coordinator, plan for HR needs and ensure that recruitment is in line with accepted GOAL procedures
- Ensure that correct donor compliance procedures are followed by GOAL and partners
- Work with GOAL’s MEAL team to ensure timely and effective monitoring and evaluation of project activities and impact, and on the design and implementation of assessments
- Provide feedback on WASH PDMs submitted by the MEAL Team.
- Coordinate with TPM companies and provide feedback to their tools and reports.
- Behavior change: Support MEAL team and hygiene promotion team in analyzing the results of behavior changes assessments.
- Support hygiene promotion team in designing sessions and messages with focus on behavior change of the community.
- Work with GOAL’s MIS (Management Information System) team to provide inputs and support with data collection and management.
- Represent GOAL externally as required;
- Ensure adherence to GOAL’s Code of Conduct and Child Protection Policy and standards of integrity, as well as uphold GOAL’s whistleblowing mechanisms;
- Ensure adherence to the financial guidelines according to GOAL Financial procedures;
- Ensure donor compliance against all donor requirements, including timely quality reporting, as applicable to the project;
- Any other tasks as requested by your line manager
- Turkish Citizenship
- Degree level qualification in WASH related fields
- Minimum four years of experience in NGO programming.
- At least 2 years of experience of WASH activities oversight.
- Experience of staff management and capacity development.
- Good computer skills including Microsoft office applications and other programs needed to design assessment tools.
- Good understanding of water and sanitation provision in the Syrian context.
- Experience of programme design and implementation.
- Experience of staff management and capacity development.
- Experience in hygiene promotion, behavior change, accountability in WASH programs.
- Prepared to work in insecure environments.
- Budget development, procurement and financial management skills.
- Flexible and creative approach with a proven ability to resolve issues and identify solutions.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to priorities work when under pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal, motivational and management skills.
- Strong communication, analysis and writing skills.
- Commitment to beneficiary accountability and humanitarian principles.
- Fluency in Arabic and English language skills (spoken and written)
Previous experience working with public water and sanitation authorities a distinct advantage;
- Knowledge of GOAL’s target areas in northern Idleb and northern Aleppo.
- Proven ability to build the capacity of partner/ local organizations an advantage.
- Minimum four years of experience in WASH programs (at least two of them in emergency response in camps and/or communities).
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the “apply now” button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Application deadline is 20 October 2021 .
Please note that GOAL does not charge a fee of any kind or any other financial obligation at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training, induction) or other fees, or request information on applicants’ bank accounts. GOAL does not work with intermediary institutions and individuals or employment agencies during the recruitment process. If any fee or payment requested from you at the application or any stage of the recruitment process, please inform [email protected] with the details immediately.
GOAL’ün, işe alım sürecinin (başvuru, başvuruların işlenmesi, mülakat, eğitim, oryantasyon) hiç bir aşamasında hiç bir şekilde ücret talep etmediğini, başvuru sahibine herhangi bir finansal yükümlülük yüklemediğini ya da başvuru sahibine ait banka bilgilerini talep etmediğini unutmayınız. GOAL işe alım süreci boyunca hiç bir aracı kurum ya da kuruluş yahut istihdam bürosuyla çalışmamaktadır. Eğer başvuru sırasında ya da işe alım sürecinin herhangi bir aşamasında sizden herhangi bir ücret ya da ödeme talep edilirse lütfen derhal [email protected] adresine detayları da içeren bir e-posta gönderiniz.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.