Job no: 545212
Contract type: Consultancy
Location: South Sudan
Categories: WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene)
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Livelihood
Purpose of Activity/Assignment:
Supervise drilling works and confirm works completed for payment
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
UNICEF, in support of the Government of South Sudan, is contracting the drilling of boreholes in Pibor in Jonglei State through private drilling service providers in order to ensure safe drinking water supply for food insecure communities and the nutrition centers in these areas. Field level supervision of works is required to ensure the quality of works delivered and to provide recommendation of certification of works to UNICEF for payment to service providers. Regular supervision reports of drilling will also inform government counterparts to provide regular updates of progress.
Scope of Work:
UNICEF has contracted various drilling contractors during the 2021/22 period to drill and equip boreholes in different parts of the country. Consequently, individuals will be appointed to supervise the drilling works to completion. A Handbook for Borehole Supervision has been prepared for that purpose.
- Ensure the assembling of equipment, mobilization of materials (gravel pack, drilling fluid, filters, and casings) and personnel for inspection to undertake drilling.
- Ensure that hydrogeological surveys are carried out, interpret results to select the most suitable sites for drilling and the hydrogeological survey reports submitted to UNICEF.
- Monitor the drilling operations according to the work plan submitted and raise issues related to any possible delays.
- Ensure proper lithological logging of the boreholes, installation of casings, screens, and gravel pack. Ensure provision of plain casing to house the pump and that sanitary seals are properly installed.
- Review well design including casing, directional, fluids, cementing, bits and hydraulics programming.
- Ensure thorough borehole development till the water is clear and take the static water level.
- Ensure that proper test pumping and recovery measurements are carried, including recovery, drawdown, and water levels; interpretation of the pumping test results.
- Ensure water sample are properly collected and logged and taken for quality analysis at the end of test pumping (physical, chemical, and biological parameters in accordance with WHO guidelines for water quality monitoring). Provide analysis of water quality test results.
- Ensure installation of the hand pumps.
- Certify the borehole completion records, water quality testing reports, and invoices for UNICEF payment.
- Prepare and approve borehole construction programs.
- Provide quality assurance of work done by providing oversight to drilling contractors working in different states, ensure standards and norms are adhered to during drilling works.
- Liaise with contracted drilling contractor’s teams / management to define and agree the contract objectives.
- Raise specific issues in the contract for clarification to avoid any misunderstanding.
- Verify all materials ensuring all meet basic strength, quality, and quantity requirements prior to their use.
- Ensure all stakeholders are kept abreast on contract progress.
- Any other task as maybe assigned by the Manager
Work Assignment Overview
- Hydrological/geophysical, pump testing and water quality reports within two weeks of completion of drilling works
- Weekly drilling reports from the field work with update on physical progress of drilling works
- Certification of borehole completion records and report as specified in the borehole TOR within the four months of the consultancy
- Supervision of trained manpower at state levels to monitor and supervise drilling works.
- Certification of works completed by contractor
Minimum Qualifications required:
- A University degree in Geology; Hydrogeology; Geophysics (Exploration/Groundwater Geophysics); Engineering Geology or Civil Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of experience in drilling works; or
- A Diploma in Drilling Technology with a minimum of 7 years of experience.
- Mechanized borehole drilling in South Sudan, geophysical investigations and analysis, pump testing, geological logging of soil samples
All applications must be submitted with detailed financial and technical proposal
Payment will be done monthly upon delivery of key task and submission of all necessary reports as stipulated in the detailed Terms of Reference.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
Advertised: 07 Oct 2021 E. Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 21 Oct 2021 E. Africa Standard Time