About the CWIS project
Trichy has been selected as one of eight cities under the City-Wide Inclusive Sanitation (CWIS) initiative by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. CWIS cities are expected to move towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goal for sanitation to ensure safe, inclusive, and financially sustainable sanitation services, and serve as global benchmarks.
The Trichy CWIS project is guided by the urban local body and delivered by a consortium of partners led by IIHS. While the project aims to improve overall sanitation outcomes in Trichy across the full cycle of sanitation, it focuses on improvement of service delivery to the urban poor and vulnerable. The project also attempts to mainstream sanitation into existing initiatives, showcase innovations and systematically document and share learnings (particularly with a view to enabling replication).
We are looking for a person who is passionate about the development sector and has a deep interest in working on water and sanitation issues. The candidate would be contributing to a range of research, analytical and implementation tasks.
The position of Junior Specialist could be either a regular position or a contractual project-based engagement. The position will be based out of Trichy, with travel as necessary to other locations in the State and India. The Junior Specialist will provide support across all components of CWIS, and work closely with the Team Lead to deliver specified tasks.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Providing assistance in tracking the implementation of project activities and timely delivery of outputs, and helping in reporting and documentation;
- Managing communications and reporting on behalf of the Team Leader and the Project Team:
- Responding to stakeholders in the normal course of communications;
- Regularly updating the Government, Clients and others as needed;
- Sharing regular updates to Internal IIHS Committees;
- Liaising with various teams to produce briefs and updates;
- Preparing Minutes of Meetings;
- Record keeping and maintenance;
- Interfacing and engaging with the Government of Tamil Nadu and / or Trichy City Corporation and other relevant authorities and stakeholders;
- Assisting with primary and secondary research and preparation of outputs for a variety of topics including city sanitation planning, governance, inclusion, etc.;
- Assisting in the review and analysis of datasets, and contributing towards creating high quality outputs/visuals, for independent use or inclusion in reports or other briefing/research material for internal and external audiences;
- Providing writing assistance on reports, academic papers and other outputs as part of the project;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, practice, operations, training and other activities;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within or outside the country as needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Junior Specialist will report to the Team Lead, CWIS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations, and students.
The candidate is required to possess a Master’s degree or its equivalent in relevant fields such as Urban Planning, Development Studies or related disciplines with a minimum of 1-3 years of demonstrable experience in implementing and supporting urban development or related development projects. Preference will be given to candidates who have worked in WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene). Prior experience in working with the government would be an added advantage.
S/he should also have analytical and report writing skills, possess good communication skills, and proficiency in standard MS office applications – Excel, Word, PowerPoint. Knowledge of any data analytics and visualisation tools would be an added advantage. Reading and writing competence in Tamil and English is essential.
This offer could be either for a regular position or for a contractual project-based engagement. This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
The position is based in Trichy, with frequent travelling to other locations in Tamil Nadu.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the candidate shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
The IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at [email protected] if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.