South Sudan nationals: Supervisor (WASH)
South Sudan, the world’s youngest country, celebrated its independence in 2011. The hope for a peaceful future brought by independence was not to last, however. In December 2013, violent confrontations between the government and opposition forces were already beginning. Since then, 2.5 million South Sudanese people have been forced to flee their homes and villages, almost half of the population does not have enough to eat, and therefore, the risk that infectious diseases, such as cholera and measles, will spread is rising. In some regions, the already completely inadequate medical infrastructure has completely collapsed.
Malteser International has been working in what is now South Sudan since 1996 – above all in the health sector. In recent years, the original focus on the care of patients with tuberculosis and sleeping sickness, and the provision of basic medical care have been expanded to include programs in the fields of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) and Food and Nutrition Security (FNS).
Malteser International recently started a new project with a WASH component in Wau. For its work in Wau, South Sudan, Malteser International is looking for an experienced Supervisor – WASH (national position).
- Provide advice and support on technical WASH Components
- Develop and ensure the use of appropriate design, construction and implementation of WASH hard ware according to technical standard as well as proper maintenance and use of WASH equipment
- Design and supervision of boreholes and water yard construction and rehabilitation
- Planning and implementation of water management and hand-pump mechanics trainings and supervision of water management committees work, in coordination with the relevant State organs
- Monitoring the access to water and water quality testing.
- Track the progress of activities, ensure the collecting of program indicators and provide on-time monthly reports
- Identify and monitor risks, constraints or escalating issues, and provide guidance in addressing them
- Develop and ensure the use of appropriate techniques and materials for hygiene promotion and training
- Coordinate with the Department of Public Utility, the relevant authorities, the WASH cluster’s agencies and community leaders for the involvement of all stakeholders and sustainability of the program
- Carry out/ participate in baseline assessments and other studies and contributions in report writing
- Graduate in Civil
- 3 years of relevant experience
- Proven experience in WASH with a focus on water supply and water quality testing
- Experience with community mobilization and capacity building approaches
- Experience in the field of WASH in schools and CLTS would be a strong asset
- Working experience with NGOs would be an asset
- Ability to work in a team
- Computer skills advanced in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Reporting skills
- Good command of English and local Arabic. Local languages are of advantage
- Starting date: As soon as possible
- Intended duty stations: Wau, South Sudan
- Duration of contract: 12months
- Salary according to qualification and experience
- Kindly note that this a national position with a local contract
This positions is only for candidates from the area of Wau, qualified female candidates are welcome to apply.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online at our job portal.
Kindly submit your application (CV, letter of motivation, copies of diplomas, three professional references andyour salary expectation) online until October 29th, 2018.