Purpose of the position
The role of GI-WASH Technical Specialist will serve as the GI-WASH Manager’s representative and the liaison for GI-WASH, to ensure that WV Ghana is represented in all national WASH fora, participate in government and donor WASH initiatives, identifying opportunities for funding, learning and policy influencing and partnerships.
Network with agencies at the Regional, National and Global to foster synergy, information sharing and scaling up of GI-WASH interventions and participate in the development of concept papers, human interest stories and proposals for mobilization of additional resources.
Being a role based at the Head Office – Accra, the WASH Technical Specialist will also work with the GI WASH Program Manager in arranging logistics for all GI-WASH visitors, and Senior Leadership Team and Senior Management Team visits to GI-WASH operations and the GI-WASH office in Tamale.
|Key Function||Major Responsibilities|
|Advocacy and policy engagement||In consultation with the GI-WASH Program Manager, initiate and support identification of WASH advocacy issues and targets, and develop and manage partnership with government, bilateral and multilateral institutions; research and academic institutions and other NGOs to advance WV’s advocacy.In liaison with the GI-WASH Manager, support the GI-WASH teams and help in defining advocacy related intervention targets for all GI-WASH implementing clusters whilst ensuring that targets are met timely within approved budgets.Support in WASH sector researches in partnership with academia, research institutions and other organisations to generate evidence that would inform policy and more effective WASH programming.Work with relevant stakeholders to influence national and sub-national policies, remove barriers and promote access to sustainable WASH services for children and their families, especially the poor and vulnerable.Provide technical support to existing and new advocacy coalitions to promote WV and sector efforts at greater prioritization and increased financing for sustainable WASH services delivery|
|Networking and External Engagement||In consultation with the GI WASH Program Manager, support the identification of national level partnerships and follow up the preparation, signing, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of MoUs.Network with Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, development partners, civil society and relevant stakeholders to build capacity, foster synergies, promote information sharing and scale up tested WASH models and interventionsRepresent WV Ghana on all relevant WASH sector platforms including as Chair of the Ghana Coalition of NGOs in Water and Sanitation and member of the Ministerial Advisory Board of the Ministry of Sanitation and Water Resources.Feedback to WV Ghana on the policy dynamics and context- specific WASH concerns at the National level, to inform programmes and projects designs that meets National and Global WASH standards.|
|Capacity building and system Strengthening Support||Provide technical backstopping to WASH Project Officers and the implementation teams and estgablish linkages with other Technical Programme Managers, to ensure effective implementation of GI-WASH programme in an integrated and coordinated manner.Support the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning initiatives of GI-WASH programme and embedded learning with the WASH strategic objectives, sub-objectives and targets.Take up further responsibilities on the Universal WASH Initiative in Ghana – Finishing the Job, including: engage with donors and mobilize more funding through engagements with corporate Ghana, Government donors and others to ensure full and continuous funding for Universal WASH in Ghana.Work with the TP Manager to support capacity building of MMDAs and relevant partner staff and strengthen their operational systems for planning, project design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reportingEnsure sufficient and timely flow of management and operational information and reports to the various stakeholders in GI-WASH according to established reporting standards and protocols.Implement new initiatives (including the School Sanitation Solutions Challenge) aimed at increasing Child Participation in WASH and building their capacity to become agents of change and co-create sustainable WASH solutions that last|
|Resource Acquisition||Support the WASH resources development in alignment with the NO resource acquisition strategy for the WASH technical programme.Produce and/or review concept notes, human interest stories, fact sheets and capacity statement in WASH to generate donor support and participate actively to all WASH grant/PNS project proposal design for mobilization of additional resources.Support GI-WASH Program Manager to meet donor requirements and take necessary steps to share GI-WASH Program outcomes and best practices with existing and potential donors|
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
The following may be acquired through a combination of formal or self-education, prior experience or on-the-job training:·Educational level required:
- Master’s degree in hydrogeology, and/or engineering, behavioral science, public relations, public health, project management, with minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior management position
- Degree in hydrogeology, and/or engineering, behavioral science, public health, project management Experience: 8 years of experience in similar field, two of which should be in the WASH sector
- Deep understanding and hands-on experience in managing large and complex donor-funded projects, including strategic and business planning skills and a good appreciation of financial management.
- Deep understanding of community-based approaches, including clear involvement of children, women and People with Disabilities in the hygiene promotion and others sector that are related to WASH.· Ability to build trust and relationships, organize people and manage performance of teams. · Strong public relations, networking and communication, coordination and advocacy skills. · Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English. A working knowledge of French is an advantage· Proficiency in use of a wide range of statistical, Geographical Information Systems, water modeling, engineering and computer software programs for project design, implementation, MEL and information system management · Must be a committed Christian, able to stand above denominational diversities.· Attend and participate/lead in daily devotions.
Working Environment / Conditions:
- Work environment: Office-based with frequent travel to the field
- Travel: 40% Domestic/international travel is required.
- On call: 15%