Field based position in Aden, Yemen.
Starting Date & Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 12 months.
Plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned WASH project(s). This involves assessing WASH needs, designing projects, writing proposals and initiating and effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Providing technical support, leadership and strategic direction, other important aspects of the role include meeting quality standards in WASH delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and managing and training WASH staff.
Medair is responding to the humanitarian needs of 96,160 individuals through an integrated health, nutrition and WASH response targeting vulnerable persons in selected districts. WASH activities form an integrated part of the approach addressing unsafe water, poor hygiene, and diarrhoea’s aggravating effect on malnutrition. WASH infrastructure at supported health facilities will be improved to reduce the risk of disease transmission. WASH emergency preparedness and response (EPR) interventions will depend on the response required – for example whether it is responding to IDP needs, a disease outbreak, flooding/cyclone events, high malnutrition within a community, etc. Medair strives to protect beneficiaries in all projects, upholding the ‘Do No Harm’ principle. The project design includes gender and protection mainstreaming components and a demonstrated accountability to the affected population.
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Manage the assigned WASH project to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned WASH project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local WASH staff.
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective WASH strategy in consultation with other WASH staff and field managers.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for WASH activities in collaboration with the WASH staff, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor and other timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the WASH Manager(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. It may also be necessary to line manage other WASH project staff including Hygiene Promotion Officer and Behaviour Change Communication Officers
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives, progress, current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision for staff to develop ownership and full responsibility for WASH activities.
- Assess the training needs of WASH staff and ensure that appropriate training is provided/conducted.
- Manage the WASH budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair in-country and GSO WASH managers and advisers and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the WASH staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Support the logistics activities of WASH staff, particularly in relation to the purchasing of supplies and equipment for the assigned WASH activities.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the WASH, logistics, and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field. Management experience in a WASH context.
- Experience working in a WASH programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context.
- Ability and willingness to manage project implementation.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Problem solving ability.
- Technical WASH skills within a humanitarian setting.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building. Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff.
- Able to enforce procedures. Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate