Winrock is accepting applications for Deputy Chief of Party – Technical (DCOP-Technical) candidates for an anticipated USAID-funded project in Haiti. The five-year USAID/Haiti Resilient Environment Activity will focus on community-led watershed and landscape management through 1) income generation linked to sustainable land management 2) conservation and restoration of watersheds 3) supporting community-led natural resources management. The geographic focus is the Joli Trou-Cormier, Les Perches, and Bahon watersheds in the Nord and Nord-Est departments. This position will be based in Haiti, and contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
The DCOP Technical will be responsible for overseeing technical implementation. S/he will be providing technical and management leadership and oversight to a multi-disciplinary technical team comprised of specialists in ecosystem health, natural resource management (freshwater and forests), to create healthy, resilient, and water secure communities at the watershed level through strengthened water and sanitation governance that improves water resource management (including water for ecosystems), enhances sustainable access to drinking water, improves agriculture water management etc. S/he will oversee the development, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of program approaches and activities, mentor staff, and ensure that the anticipated project results are achieved.
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits.
- Coordinate with the Chief of Party in management of the technical components, providing programmatic leadership and overseeing the strategic planning of activities in support of the project goals and objectives, including the determination of project priorities and appropriate technical initiatives.
- Ensure results-oriented technical components and high-quality and timely deliverables and reports, focusing on synergistic coordination of all technical areas.
- Advise national counterparts on technical issues and participate in relevant advisory and/or working groups with counterparts, partner institutions, relevant Government of Haiti Ministries, and all other local stakeholders.
- Represent the project in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations.
- Develop and modify as necessary the technical work plans and budget.
- Ensure women and marginalized groups are beneficiaries of the project.
- Coordinate activities with other agencies and closely collaborate with key staff on implementing activities.
- Ensure technical compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
- Work closely with Winrock’s project management staff in the US to ensure effective, timely and coordinated project implementation.
- Focus on achieving results in all areas on schedule and maintain positive relationships with USAID, Haitian officials, partners, and implementing partners.
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party (COP) as needed in the absence of the COP.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: A minimum of a master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) in forestry or environmental management, water management, landscape conservation (marine or terrestrial), global climate change, environmental economics, international development, public/business administration, governance, or relevant fields of study related to the sector of the project.
- At least seven years of experience in senior-level management positions for donor-funded international development projects. Senior-level management experience on large and complex projects ($10M+) is strongly preferred.
- A minimum of five years of experience related to water management, biodiversity, natural resource management, or related issues ecosystem restoration, systems approach to Landscape Management, watershed management, agroforestry, agriculture, climate change, community development, and governance, as well as an understanding of policy, economics, and market issues in these sectors.
- At least five years of demonstrated experience in senior-level roles for USAID projects; Deputy Chief of Party experience preferred.
- Experience with development of government ministries and ability to foster and maintain good working relationships with senior officials.
- Strong knowledge of the political, social, cultural environment and power dynamics in Haiti.
- Demonstrated competence in negotiation and communication.
- Proven expertise in delivering technical presentations.
- Technical understanding of forestry, agriculture, and climate change issues.
- Technical understanding of water security, land use planning, and climate change adaptation.
- Knowledge of USAID policies and procedures as related to project management preferred.
- Knowledge of the political, social, cultural, environmental, and development context of Haiti is strongly preferred.
- Ability to diplomatically supervise staff and coordinate programs with partners from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.
- Ability to build coalitions and networks that can provide synergies and sustainable solutions.
- Must be comfortable in high-level representational role as well as interacting with beneficiaries.
- Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to effectively coordinate stakeholders.
- Fluency in written and oral English and French is required. Haitian Creole is desirable.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. Winrock recruits, employs, trains, promotes and compensates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
At Winrock we have a clear mission: Empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources through unwavering dedication to accountability, equity, innovation, integrity and transformation.
Winrock knows that its success comes from the hard work and steadfast dedication of its diverse workforce. Winrock remains committed to maintaining diversity, inclusion and equity across the entire organization