Requisition ID: req20377
Job Title: Environmental Health Site Engineer- Afghan Nationals Only
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Helmand, Afghanistan
- Ensure quality construction of all water supply infrastructures and ensuring good maintenance and sustainable processes are put in place.
- Identify gaps in the infrastructure in the project sites and recommend appropriate corrective actions and follow up on functionality.
- Carry out Surveys, need assessments, make designs, and supervise constructions of boreholes, shallow wells, water yard facilities, pipe scheme networks rehabilitation, and another area where required.
- Review and validate as-built technical drawings, BOQs, and scope of work for all planned constructions and rehabilitations of the related project activities.
- Take lead in timely preparation and submission of project progress reports
- Participate in project beneficiary characterization and mapping
- Conduct water quality tests for the water points constructed or rehabilitated by organizations at the community and schools’ levels.
- Be a good steward by ensuring that project materials and resources are used effectively.
- Ensure that WASH activities are integrated with other activities for the optimum benefit of the beneficiaries.
- Ensure that cross-cutting issues such as protection, gender, and other environment are addressed and mainstreamed in the project.
- Participate in WASH Cluster meetings at provincial levels and site meetings on the construction sites
- Ensure that the most vulnerable people also are covered by the project activities.
- Support team in sanitation and medical waste management activities when required
- Following up the procurement process with supply chain team at field and Kabul level
- Conduct meetings with contractors, CDCs, and School’s management shuras regarding the progress and quality of construction activities
- Ensure that all the WASH activities are finished within the allocated time, budget, and scope
- Conduct meetings with contractors, CDCs and School’s management shuras regarding the progress and quality of construction activities
- Take lead for selection of communities with relevant Govt departments and other stakeholders for WASH interventions
- Perform any other duties as required or asked to do.
- Water, Civil or Sanitation Engineer, or related university degree or diploma in water engineering/Civil engineering with at 2 years experience in the field.
- Minimum 2 years experience in managing and implementing Water and Sanitation programs in war-affected areas or rural and remote environments
- Good knowledge of Engineering design software AutoCAD, EPANET, Familiarity or experience with SPHERE Standards
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Ability to work in unstable insecurity environments and tight schedules
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements
- Ability to work independently and in a team good knowledge of the dynamics of the social, cultural dynamics of the intervention area, and is willing to travel to far districts of the provinces.
- Having the skills and ability to work within a team
- Good written and spoken English and can Speak/understand/write the local language