Requisition ID: req20378
Job Title: Hygiene Promotion Officer- Afghan Nationals Only
Sector: Environmental Health
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Helmand, Afghanistan
- Support and undertake rapid needs assessments of WASH conditions in camps and communities, collating data, and supporting the writing / dissemination of reports on findings.
- Provide input to the planning of activities in response to findings; Mobilize members of the communities to take ownership of improved hygiene practices and environment.
- Help identify and supervise volunteers/facilitators within the communities.
- Organize teams of community-based Hygiene Monitors to regularly assess and report on hygiene conditions and issues.
- Organize/facilitate group awareness sessions on hygiene practices for men/women in the community, Schools, and other identified locations
- Conduct hygiene promotion training concentrating on approved key hygiene promotion messages at community, household, and school levels
- Good knowledge of CLTS, SLTS and able to conduct participatory hygiene promotion sessions, training, and awareness within communities.
- Formation and training of WASH committees.
- Conduct visiting to assess, inform and motivate families to improve hygiene and living conditions when required.
- Promote hygiene education through a variety of means, such as information sharing, dissemination, communication materials.
- Provide support to the distribution of hygiene items and conduct follow-up training and monitoring of proper use of hygiene items.
- Input to weekly reports and to assist in PDM exercise after distribution.
- Develop contacts with community leaders and key stakeholders to explain and promote the organization and projects.
- Maintain good relations with community CDCs, DRRD, and DoRR relevant staff
- Act as a link between the organization and the beneficiaries and Mobilise and encourage the targeted beneficiaries and all other stakeholders to participate in the project
- Ensure that cross-cutting issues such as protection, gender, and other environmental related issues are addressed and mainstreamed in the project
- Follow-up of water quality analysis at household level (residual chlorine, bacteriological analysis), to assess the effectiveness of home water treatment techniques
- Prior knowledge/training/experience on community Health, protection, community development, social sciences, Public Health, Nutrition, Environmental Science, or any other relevant field at Bachelors or diploma with at least three years of proven experience
- Experience within volunteer work with migrant populations will be an asset.
- Strong communication, listening skills, and sensitivity to the needs and priorities of different groups within the community
- Having at least 2 years experience as a trainer in hygiene promotion, Community Lead Total Sanitation (CLTS), School Lead Total Sanitation (SLTS), behaviour change communication, or in any other relevant field
- Ability to travel to rural areas for implementing hygiene promotion activities.
- Good knowledge of the dynamics of the social, cultural dynamics of the intervention area and is willing to work in hard to reach areas.
- Having the skills and ability to work within a team
- Good written and spoken English and can Speak/understand/write the local language
- Numeric, literacy and record-keeping skill