OneWorld Sustainable Investments (OW) operates across Africa and globally. The company has also recently established OneWorld Europe as an independent arm of OW, which serves the global market. Both organisations operate in sustainable development consulting and focus on adaptive development and resilience building within the context of a changing climate and resource constraints (see
www.oneworldgroup.co.za for information on our projects).
OneWorld’s four inter-related work programmes are:
- Valuing Resources – Advancing governance and sustainable financing for water, land-use,
and biodiversity resource development;
- Climate Change – Building and applying evidence of climate impacts for development, people
and economies to inform inclusive policy strategies and financing solutions;
- Green Transitions – Envisioning just transitions and transformational pathways for
mobilising green and low carbon societies where all benefit from the gains, and;
- Urban Resilience – Facilitating sustainable urban densification, mobility and municipal
governance reform for inclusive cities that secure development gains and enhance the lives of all
Our clients and beneficiaries include International Cooperation Partners, Governments in donor countries and the regions we work in, transboundary institutions such as River Basin Organisations, Development Finance Institutions, continental and regional political, economic and trade communities
and climate negotiation blocs in developing countries, as well as the private sector. We work at the science-policy-development interface and provide technical and policy advisory services to our clients and beneficiaries. OneWorld currently seeks a South African-based Business Development Manager, preferably Cape Town-based, to lead and coordinate OneWorld’s business development portfolio, in line with the growth strategy of the business.
However, the ideal candidate will have a strong background in sustainable development, rather than a past career focused on growing a business in an unrelated field. We will only consider
candidates who have experience and education in some aspect of sustainable development. Please engage closely with our website to understand our business, to avoid wasting your time and ours.
Based on a solid understanding of the sustainable development space, the role of Business Development Manager at OneWorld involves both high-level and hands-on aspects, namely: To provide business intelligence and strategic content; to manage all aspects of project proposal development; write Proposals and Expressions of Interest (EoIs); supervise meeting proposal technical requirements; liaise with subconsultants in terms of availability, etc. Generally, the purpose of the role is to win projects in line with the
company’s growth strategy and within the organisation’s work programmes.
Although operating from the OneWorld Africa office in South Africa (Cape Town) the incumbent will be responsible for business development for OneWorld’s global operations.
Reporting and Management Structure
The Business Development Manager will report to the CEO and the General Manager and will be responsible for leading a small team of research and support staff. However, the BDM will also interface
with the broader team in the process of carrying out business development activities.
Manage the entire process of business development from identifying opportunities (e.g. tenders, calls for
proposals) Expression of Interest and full proposal submission. Create marketing materials for business development activities, in close cooperation with the publications and knowledge team. Provide market intelligence to the strategic growth team. Lead and coordinate the business development function. Specifically, the business development manager will be responsible for:
Alignment with business thematic programmes
Work closely with business thematic programmes to understand programme focus and
identify aligned opportunities.
- Keep abreast of global and regional agendas and inform the business o f trends in current thematic programmes and of potential growth areas.
- Consistently review opportunities and new growth opportunities. Identify and drive opportunities that could leverage the business. Keep abreast of prevailing compliance requirements of local, regional and global clients.
- Advise on and implement practices on selection of bids, and approach to achieving winning bids.
Proposal development and submission
- Manage the development of and contribute to strategically positioned and quality proposals in line with OneWorld’s four inter-related work programmes and current trends.
- Coordinate the development of proposal budgets, with support from the team.
- Coordinate time-efficient submission of proposals and meet stringent deadlines.
- Advise on bid/proposal quality improvement and implement solutions to address.
Results Analysis and Reporting
- Input and maintain information on business development systems and tools, including maintaining an up-to-date pipeline of proposals, thus tracking future revenue.
- Analyse business development results on a regular basis and provide leadership tp the strategic team on adjusting business development approach.
- Establish and maintain client and partner relationships that are key to maintaining business reputation and to strategic growth.
We are looking for a candidate with the following qualifications and skills sets:
- Education: A Masters or equivalent qualification is preferred, in the fields of Development Studies/Economic Development, Environmental Science, Sustainable Development or related Social Sciences.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years’ work experience in the sustainable development field, with a proven track record in development, climate change and resilience, climate/environmental finance research; policy and strategy development, analysis and advisory; and at least 3 years’ business development experience in the tender response-based environment for public sector and donor funding.
- Proven track record in working
with ICPs and DFIs. Experience in working with the private sector is an advantage.
- Detail oriented, across all types of documents, and a proven ability to work systematically and strategically (this will be checked through references).
- Excellent writing and presentation skills, with the ability to convey technical concepts and research in an easily understandable and relevant manner. Impeccable command
of English, both written and spoken (samples may be requested).
- Excellent ability to work with Excel: able to create and manage budgets for projects and the Business Development department.
- Ability to operate remotely, while working in person with a close office-based team. Good command of Office Suite, including PowerPoint.
Key behavioural requirements
We are looking for an excellent communicator, both in speaking and writing. You are committed to and
interested in the nature of OneWorld’s work, and able to see the bigger picture. You will be flexible and adaptable enough to be able to meet the changing requirements of our various projects, the business and the sustainable development space. However, you will also be detail oriented, with strong analytical skills. You are well-organized, with the ability to effectively plan and prioritise tasks in order to achieve project deadlines. You hold yourself accountable, take ownership and are highly proactive. You will be deadline driven, with good business acumen as well as networking skills.
You will have proven interpersonal/relationship building skills and the ability to coordinate, get on with
and manage a team, and interface with the larger office team.
How to apply
To apply, please send a cover letter and 5 page CV that responds directly to the requirements set out in this advert, to recruitmen[email protected] by the 10th October 2021. Only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted