Consultancy to support review of quality assurance in WaterAid programmes
WA contact: Louisa Gosling
Purpose and background:
WaterAid is an international non-governmental organization specializing in WASH in low and middle-income countries, working in 28 countries globally. We seek to strengthen systems for equitable and sustainable WASH services, and work through a combination of service delivery, advocacy and capacity development collaborating with a range of government and non-governmental partners. The quality of all aspects of our work is essential to: ensure safety and manage risks; protect WaterAid’s reputation and credibility; inspire and motivate others to adopt good standards in WASH; and support the realization of human rights to water and sanitation for all.
WaterAid launched the Quality Programme Standards (QPS) globally in May 2018 as a tool and guidance to support WASH service sustainability. These quality programme standards bring together WaterAid standards and accepted ‘good practice’ in the wider water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) sector. Since the launch, several additional tools have been developed to support country programmes to use and monitor the QPS in different contexts of intervention. With the evolution of the intervention context (Covid 19, climate change, security) and in line with the development of WaterAid’s New Global Strategy, it is now opportune to pause and check how far have we gone in quality assurance through the established standards and to make recommendations for revised content and implementation.
Therefore we are seeking a consultant or consultants to work with WaterAid staff to help carry out a review of the quality standards and their implementation. The review must be carried out in a participatory manner to ensure the recommendations are fully owned and will be supported by senior managers in country, regional and member offices.
Further details are provided in the TOR document, available by clicking Apply Now.
The Consultant should:
- Have considerable knowledge and experience in WASH programmes for sustainable and equitable services adopting systems strengthening and empowering approaches, including global and national quality standards and sector best practice.
- Have considerable international experience and strong understanding of the various regions in which WaterAid works
- Proven experience of designing and carrying out reviews through qualitative research producing clear and succinct findings and recommendations.
- Excellent writing skills in English. Preferably also spoken French.
- Be available to start within 1 – 2 months
The consultancy is estimated to take approximately 35 days October 2021 to mid 2022 (total days to be confirmed).
Please submit your Expression of Interest (EOI) to [email protected] with subject line ‘EOI for QPS review by 11.59pm GMT 10th October 2021. This should include:
- a financial proposal for the work including daily rate (inclusive of VAT)
- a statement of the expertise you will bring to this review outlining relevant qualifications and experience.
- location (UK-based or non-UK-based) and type of consultant (sole trader/self-employed, team, company)
Interested applicants based in, or originating from, LIC/MICs are strongly encouraged to apply.
Contact Louisa Gosling ([email protected]) for any questions or clarifications.
WaterAid is committed to ensuring that wherever we work in the world there is no tolerance for the abuse of power, privilege or trust. WaterAid reinforces a culture of zero tolerance towards any form of inappropriate behaviour, abuse, harassment, or exploitation of any kind. The safeguarding of our beneficiaries, staff, volunteers and anyone working on our behalf, is our top priority and we take our responsibilities extremely seriously. All staff and volunteers are required to share in this commitment through our Global Code of Conduct. We will conduct the most appropriate pre-employment references and checks to ensure high standards are maintained.
WaterAid is an equal opportunities, disability-confident employer and committed to achieving the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality. Should you have a disability and require any additional support, please contact us at [email protected].