|Term Duration:||3 years 0 months|
|Recruitment Type:||Local Recruitment|
|Closing Date:||10/12/2021 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC|
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty and promoting shared prosperity. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Global Practice (ENB GP) is located within the World Bank’s Sustainable Development Practice Group. We provide expertise, technical assistance and financing to help low- and middle-income countries manage land, sea and freshwater natural resources in a sustainable way to help create jobs, improve livelihoods, enhance ecosystem services, decrease pollution and increase resilience to climate change!
The SEAE1 unit, covers three country units (China & Mongolia, Indonesia & Timor-Leste, and Papua New Guinea & Pacific Islands).
China Country Context
Our China/Mongolia program has some 80 projects covering social development, energy and infrastructure, agriculture, forestry and natural resource management, rural development, social protection, disaster risk reduction, and climate change adaptation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will report to the EAP SEAE1 Practice Manager based in Singapore and the Country Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) Focal Point based in Beijing.
The Senior Environmental Specialist’s role will be to oversee and support compliance with the WBG’s safeguards policies and ESF, ensuring that environmental sustainability is integrated into project design and implementation! You may also work on our environmental projects as a technical or operational specialist, depending on workload and background.
• Provide advice to clients on environmental risk management in World Bank-financed projects.
• Working closely with the ESF Country Focal Point and clients, ensure the effective integration of environmental due diligence into project design, appraisal and implementation. This includes environmental impact assessments, strategic and cumulative assessments, and plans for occupational health and safety, natural habitats conservation, etc.
• Advise clients and teams to ensure project documents meet best practice standards and are disclosed and consulted per World Bank procedures. In parallel, provide expert guidance to clients in tendering and contracting specialized consultant services for environmental risk assessment and management tasks.
• Provide technical training and capacity building related to environmental risk management, including WBG safeguard policies and ESF requirements.
• Participate as a team member in various projects, including participating in identification missions; seeking and developing opportunities to integrate sound environmental management and policies into various investment project operations. In addition, maintaining regular dialog with the client and enhancing their capacity for understanding of and compliance with environmental policies; and contributing to mission outputs and reports.
• Contribute to environment-related project designs and/or work with clients to supervise such activities in line with World Bank operational policies.
• Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in environmental engineering, environmental science, environment or natural resource management, or related fields.
• A minimum of eight years of full-time relevant professional experience in the environmental risk management sector.
• Knowledge and experience in environmental assessment and management of investment projects involving large scale civil works, extractive or industrial activities.
• Knowledge and experience with relevant Chinese laws, regulations and standards related to environmental impact assessment and management.
• Field experience in both assessing project site vulnerabilities/risks, as well as supervising/inspecting/monitoring projects with significant environmental dimensions and/or risks during implementation to mitigate and monitor environmental impacts.
• Collaborative, experienced in working in a broad range of cultural contexts, with multi-disciplinary teams, and with the ability to work independently with limited supervision.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Willingness to travel extensively in the China and Mongolia is necessary, including to remote rural areas.
• Familiarity with WBG’s safeguards policies, ESF and/or IFC’s Performance Standards/MIGA Environmental and Social policies or similar standards will be advantageous.
• Experience with Project Management.
• Experience with World Bank operational procedures.
Applicants must have the right to live and work in China.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.