The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) (www.iwmi.org) is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual to join as a Researcher who will work with a team of staff at IWMI to deliver on the activity Water Management for Enhanced Productivity (WMfEP). The Researcher will lead Component 2 of this activity, “Improved capacity of GoKP (including newly merged districts) and will be involved with relevant agencies/staff in planning, design and implementation of water resources development”. The Researcher -Water Governance Institutions will work closely with the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party but will be responsible for on time and on budget quality delivery of all tasks within this component including all supporting documentation i.e task plans, task reports etc. The Researcher -Water Governance Institutions will work closely with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist to ensure all tasks are properly monitored and all targets and achievements are accurately documented. The Researcher -Water Governance Institutions will also develop and deliver on specific tasks within other components of the activity. The Researcher -Water Governance Institutions will work closely with the WMfEP Communications Specialist to develop impactful success/outcome stories.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The main responsibilities will include:
- Support the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party and contribute to all activity related management e.g. plans and documents including but not limited to Life of Activity Plan, Annual Plan, Quarterly and Annual Reporting etc
- Manage all tasks within the activity component for which the Researcher -Water Governance Institutions is responsible to ensure that all tasks are delivered on time, on budget and to the quality expected.
- Lead on all tasks assigned to the Researcher -Water Governance Institutions whether these are within the activity component for which the Researcher -Water Governance Institutions is lead or otherwise and ensure the task is delivered on time, on budget and to the quality expected.
- Provide intellectual/thought leadership on improving water management and governance for Gomal Zam Command Area Development (GZCAD), and water resources development in KP – developing a compelling case for tasks to be included in annual plans of the activity.
- Prepare activity task plans, task reports and other articles, documents for publication in addition to conference/seminar papers to communicate and disseminate activity outputs.
- Communicate outcomes of project interventions with the wider research and development community.
- Lead and deliver capacity building tasks of partners for Water Professionals in KP.
- Lead and synthesize research on irrigated agriculture in the selected activity sites.
- Ensure accountability to the International Water Management Institute’s (IWMI’s) policies and donor rules and regulations.
- Frequent travel is expected between Lahore and project site in D.I.Khan with minimum 1 week stay at project site during each month. Travel to other cities and international travel is also expected.
- Undertake relevant assignments as requested by the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party from time-to-time.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A PhD in water governance/institutions water or a closely related discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in total and 03 years post-doctoral relevant experience including working on research and development projects funded by multiple donors and involving multiple stakeholders.
- A strong record of peer reviewed publications on relevant subjects with an emphasis on water governance, water institutions, water policy etc.
- Experience working on the ground in-field exploring agricultural water management solutions with farmers and water users, collecting primary and secondary data.
- Experience collecting, managing, manipulating analysis a range of data from biophysical collected through technology interventions to social collected through questionnaires to secondary data.
- Experience of working in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Experience of managing capacity building and training programs for diverse participants.
- Experience working with an international organization.
- Experience in managing major components/parts of large development partner funded projects, developing plans, developing and managing consultancies/short term assignments etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- In depth knowledge and expertise developing water governance, water institutions, policies etc.
- Knowledge and experience of water challenges in the Pakistan/Afghanistan preferred and strong understanding of the current political, economic, cultural and historical context of the South-Asia region.
- A thought leader bringing a high degree of originality, creativity and innovation.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- High level of proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Office and specialist software for qualitative and quantitative data analysis.
- Strong management and leadership skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues, and emphasis on establishing a balance between strategic guidance and team empowerment.
- Demonstrates tenacity, adaptability and flexibility.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work with co-workers, clients, stakeholders and partners.
- A team player – willing to take on different roles within the team, hands-on attitude willing and able to undertake work themselves.
- Persuasive written and oral communication skills in English, including report development, writing and editing, as well as strong presentation skills when addressing diverse audiences.
- Excellent English language skills (essential).
- Good Urdu language skills (essential).
- Good Pashto language skills (desirable).
This is an internationally recruited position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, an attractive retirement plan, comprehensive international health insurance, life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, long-term disability insurance coverage and a transportation allowance. The duration of the initial contract will be for 21 months. All candidates, however, must be eligible to work in Pakistan by virtue of nationality/residence.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, cover letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees, who will be contacted if you are short-listed for the position.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.