The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) (www.iwmi.org) is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual to join as the Researcher – Remote Sensing and GIS. The incumbent will work across different components and tasks of the Water Management for Enhanced Productivity (WMfEP) activity providing technical input to the water management and improvement of the farming systems. The incumbent will also play a key role in the delivery of various tasks in WMfEP, developing, leading, and contributing to tasks and will also take part in the capacity building of the Government Departments and farmers to properly operationalize the new irrigation technology, techniques, practices from farm to system to provincial level.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Planning, conceiving, contributing and leading WMfEP tasks which may include but not be limited to those where extensive GIS and Remote Sensing tools/technology/skills are required.
- Identify new sustainable solutions, trends and niches, and develop innovative solutions to challenges for the activity interventions addressing important water sector issues in KP and the newly merged districts where GIS and Remote Sensing technology can be applied.
- Initiate, develop and sustain collaboration with research and development partners, governments and donors in the irrigation sector in Pakistan.
- Lead and. or contribute to WMfEP Task Plans and Task Reports, publication research reports, journal articles and other scientific manuscripts (e.g., policy guidelines, policy briefs, etc.) for dissemination and uptake of research results.
- Undertake, organize, facilitate, lead the technical capacity building of water professionals in KP & the newly merged districts on irrigation, water management, irrigated agriculture.
- Communicate outcomes of project interventions with the wider research and development community.
- Incorporating best practices for climate-related impacts in investments in water resources development in the province of KP.
- Frequent travel is expected for this position between Lahore and the activity site in D.I.Khan with typical 1 week stay at the project site per month.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A PhD in engineering or physical sciences (e.g. physical geography, GIS/Remote Sensing) or a closely related discipline with 3 years of post-doctoral experience.
- A good record of peer reviewed publications on relevant subjects.
- Experience in organizing, developing, delivering, facilitating seminars, workshops, trainings.
- On-the-ground experience developing solutions for irrigation/water management solutions with farmers and water users.
- Experience of working in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
- Prior experience working with internationally leading organizations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Strong contemporary knowledge on GIS/Remote Sensing including but not limited to setting up hardware and software for GIS deployments etc.
- Demonstrated original thinking, creativity and innovation applied to his/her discipline.
- Experience in working on a diverse range of scales, and a good knowledge of GIS and Remote Sensing technology and scripting in Python, R etc.
- Experience in contemporary GIS tools e.g. Google Earth Engine, ArcGIS, QGIS.
- Good management and leadership skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues, and emphasis on establishing a balance between strategic guidance and team empowerment.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Original, creative and innovative thinker that takes initiative, has a good sense of judgement.
- A strong team player that is willing to take on various roles, adaptable and flexible and has tenacity to persevere.
- Previous experience working in the Pakistan/Afghanistan preferred and strong understanding of the current political, economic, cultural and historical context of the region.
- High level of proficiency in Windows, Microsoft Office.
- Persuasive written and oral communication skills in English, including report development, writing and editing, as well as strong presentation skills when addressing diverse audiences.
- Good Urdu language skills (essential).
This is a nationally recruited position and all applicants must be eligible to work in Pakistan. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a transport allowance, medical insurance for self and eligible dependents, as well as life, AD&D and long-term disability insurance. The duration of the contract will be for 21 months.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, cover letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees, who will be contacted if you are short-listed for the position, and must be uploaded as one document.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.