The International Water Management Institute (IWMI) (www.iwmi.org) is looking for a dynamic, self-motivated individual to join as Research Officer – Social Sciences, who will cover a broad range of activities to support implementation of work plans of the Water Management for Enhanced Productivity (WMfEP) Activity, which aims to reduce constraints to productive and sustainable use of water for agriculture production at the Gomal Zam irrigation scheme.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support the WMfEP team during fieldwork, participating in interdisciplinary research activities, including experimental design, data collection, processing and analysis, in the thematic issues such as policy, institutions, water governance, rural livelihoods, impact evaluation, gender equality and social inclusion issues of the WMfEP activity.
- Play a key role in coordinating, supporting and undertaking activities in DI Khan project sites and other areas of the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Province, Pakistan.
- Provide support to and liaise with project partners (Government counterparts) in collecting primary and secondary data, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Work closely with local farmers and be the key communicator with them on regular basis.
- Undertake data collection from different sites by conducting field surveys, phone calls, physical measurements when required, choice experiments and digitize the data for proper archives.
- Provide support to organizing and facilitating capacity building training and interaction in the Activity sites.
- Contribute to building positive relationships with the government, civil society and other stakeholders.
- Provide support to organizing meetings, dialogues and workshops for the activity.
- Assist in preparing project reports according to project timelines.
- Provide support to preparing activity-specific communication materials.
- Arrange the logistics for the research site visits by IWMI and other national and international partners.
- Undertake relevant assignments as requested by the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party from time-to-time.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in development studies or a related social science discipline, or agriculture, water resources management or agricultural engineering with specialization in social science approaches (e.g., economic geography, impact evaluation, governance, public policy and institutional analysis) in these sectors.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in development and/or research project management in the field of social sciences/natural resources management.
- Experience in conducting field research/surveys in impact evaluation studies and/or social science applied in natural resource management.
- Willingness to live in rural areas for fairly long periods for extended periods of time.
- Ability to contribute to high quality reports and publications with necessary analysis, narratives, figures/diagrams.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Familiarity with both qualitative and quantitative research methods in the field of social science research, particularly in the areas of public policy, impact evaluation, institutions and governance issues of water resources and/or natural resources; economic geography or agricultural water management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of social aspects of rural livelihoods in farming/agricultural systems acquired through formal training and/or subsequent experience.
- Complementary knowledge on critical social, economic, political ecological, technical, institutional and policy issues faced by the agriculture sector in Pakistan and particularly Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province.
- Ability to spend majority of the time in field with limited facilities as the position is based in D.I. Khan.
- Ability to work independently to deliver outputs on time with guidance from the supervisor/Chief of Party/Deputy Chief of Party.
- Demonstrable and well-developed adaptability and flexibility to accommodate changes and also contemplate alternatives.
- Sound personal organization and priority setting skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with officials in other agencies.
- Knowledge of diversity, inclusion, discrimination and gender issues in Pakistan.
- Respect and practice organizational values and work with professional integrity.
- High level of initiative and a good sense of judgement, teamwork, interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Good written and spoken Urdu, and Pashto, Seraiki desirable
This is a nationally recruited position and all applicants must be eligible to work in Pakistan. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a transport allowance, medical insurance for self and eligible dependents, as well as life, AD&D and long-term disability insurance. The duration of the contract will be for 21 months.
Your application must include a copy of your curriculum vitae, cover letter which addresses IWMI’s requirements stated above, and contact information of three professional referees, who will be contacted if you are short-listed for the position, and must be uploaded as one document.
IWMI believes that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary working environment. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities.