Company OverviewPalladium develops and delivers solutions that create positive impact for communities, businesses, societies and economies. We transform lives and create enduring value by working with governments, corporations and non-profit organisations. Palladium is built on the idea that progress will be supported by four key pillars:
- International Development
- Strategy Execution Consulting
- Impact Investment
- Training and Events
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and RoleThe objectives of the DFID-funded programme is to enable the poorest and most vulnerable in Tanzanian society to become more resilient to climate change and to benefit from low carbon growth through the strengthening of the United Republic of Tanzania Public sector institutions.The Team Leader has overall in-country programmatic, financial and management responsibility for the programme. The Team Leader is a senior representative of the company and as such ensures that risks are minimised, that company policies, processes and procedures are adhered to, and that the programme is compliant with client policies, rules and regulations.
The role ensures that programme objectives, outcomes and deliverables are met and that financial, operational and reporting requirements of the client are adhered to.
The role works closely with and manages the programme team of technical and administrative professionals and other support staff.
The Team Leader is the primary liaison with the client and represents the company with other donors, the host country government including the Ministry of Finance and relevant ministries working in climate change, partner consortium members and other sub-contracted partners.
This is a full time position based in Tanzania.
Strategic and Operational Planning:
- Leads the preparation of the annual strategic plans, technical and operational work plans and budgets, staffing plans, performance improvement plans and other plans as required;
- Ensures appropriate consultation in the development of plans and budgets (including consultation with the Programme Director, the client, national government agencies and other programme stakeholders).
- Provides technical guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all programme activities, outputs and deliverables;
- Assumes overall responsibility for the effective implementation of work plans and ensures delivery is on time, within budget, meets client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant;
- Monitors implementation progress, maintains up to date logs of issues and risks, works to resolve issues, manages and mitigates risks, and escalates material issues and risks as appropriate;
- Develops and implements plans for results measurement, monitoring and evaluation, knowledge management, value for money analysis and communication.
Human Resource Management:
- Assumes overall responsibility for the effective and professional management of the programme team;
- Leads, guides, mentors and manages the performance of technical and administrative direct reports and ensures appropriate leadership, guidance, mentorship and management of other staff;
- Participates as required in HR management, including but not limited to: recruitment and contracting, performance management, disciplinary and grievance proceedings, and learning and development.
Financial Management and Administration:
- Ensures consistent implementation of Company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Guidelines and Security Protocols and, where applicable, recommends modifications;
- Ensures the programme provides and demonstrates good value for money;
- Ensures that financial risk to Palladium is minimized;
- Supports the preparation and delivery to the client of budget variations and contract amendments;
- Oversees and contributes to the development of and adherence to business processes and administrative procedures that contribute to the effective financial management and administration of the programme, including the Operations Manual, Safety and Security SOPs, and asset management.
Client Relationship and Stakeholder Management:
- Represents and promotes legitimate commercial interests of the company;
- Manages relationships and overseas coordination of programme activities with consortium members and other partners
- Maintains excellent working relationship with the client and ensures agreement of the programme?s strategy, plans, resource requirements and any other contract amendments required;
- Manages relationships with the government of the host country – including the Ministry of Finance, Office of the Vice President and relevant ministries working in climate change – industry actors, business partners and Palladium programme implementing partners;
- Maintains regular communication with DFID and relevant stakeholders and ensures that activity reports and critical programme issues are resolved in a timely manner;
- Overseestimely and accurate reporting to DFID including production of all quarterly reports, annual reporting and value for money reporting;
Minimum education and experience required
- A postgraduate degree in Development, Economics, Environment and Natural Resources, Applied Social Sciences or other related discipline
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant, progressively responsible experience, with specific experience managing large donor-funded programmes. Experience with DFID-funded programmes will be particularly relevant.
- Proven track record in leading programmes that promote institutional strengthening, good governance and accountability, climate change resilience, and understanding of political economy analysis important.
- Experience in working with a broad range of stakeholders; facilitating and mainstreaming complex processes amongst civil society, private sector and governments in Africa.
- A minimum of 6 years of people management experience including setting clear performance objectives, managing for results, giving and receiving feedback, performance evaluation, mentoring and coaching
- Solid experience in Tanzania and/or the region would be ideal.
Key competencies and professional expertise required
- Successful track record in high-level leadership skills that inspire people and provide clear strategic direction to teams
- Strong technical track record in Policy and Planning / Public Financial Management / Institutional Strengthening / Governance / Climate Change
- Experience in research and knowledge management in the field of climate change economics, finance and/or policy and climate resiliency and adaptation
- Knowledge of key players in ministries involved in climate change, the Vice President?s Office, and local NGOs and institutions
- Experience in climate resiliency measures such as climate smart agriculture, forestry, water resources, and clean energy access
- Working experience with climate change relevant institutions at the national and subnational levels
- Excellent leadership, representation and organizational skills
- Ability to foster successful partnership approaches and relationships among a range of stakeholders, including programme partners, donors, private sector organizations, NGOs and government departments
- Ability to effectively manage a large and diverse team of people
- Ability to deliver programmes in conjunction with multiple partners
- Ability to operate in complex situations
- Willingness to travel to and spend time in target areas
- Strong experience and understanding of the cultural, social, political and economic context of Tanzania and East Africa region
- Ability to communicate effectively and negotiate persuasively with high level decision makers
- Results oriented and commitment to accountability and value for money
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong personal qualities, including integrity, commitment to excellence, equality, openness, inclusiveness, collegiality and solving problems even in very difficult situations