This position is in Office of Water (OW), Office of Wetlands, Oceans & Watersheds, Program Development Branch.
At the entry level of this position, you will:
- Serve on a team that oversees the Waters of the United States program to ensure compliance with environmental requirements, and resolve environmental and restoration problems.
- Serve on a team of programmatic and technical experts on water quality, watershed, ecosystem, and/or restoration programs.
- Support new Waters of the United States rulemaking efforts, which will include reviewing, developing, and implementing environmental technical standards, tools, guidance, policies, and regulations.
- Train to become a Contract Officer’s representative for contracts and/or Project Officer for assistance agreements and Interagency Agreements in accordance with Federal and agency policies and practices.
When entering a Federal job at a grade level lower than the highest promotion potential level, you may be promoted to more complex duties and work more independently, as your career progresses. NOTE: Career ladder promotions are not automatic, and all eligibility and qualifications requirements must be met in order to progress to the next grade level.
You will spend less than 25% of your work time on contracts, grants/cooperative agreements, and/or interagency agreements.
One or more positions may be filled.
Travel Required: Occasional travel – You may be required to travel 25% or less of each month.
Supervisory status: No
Promotion Potential: 13
Conditions of Employment
- If you are selected, a pre-employment background check is required.
- You must be a U.S. citizen.
- EPA and non-EPA applicants must submit transcripts/course listings.
- You must submit a resume and required documents–see How to Apply section.
- Position has education requirements–see Qualifications/Education section.
- This is a term position (see Other Information on assignment limits).
If you are selected, you will be required to complete a Confidential Financial Disclosure form within 30 days of your first day of employment and annually thereafter.
This position is designated as Moderate Risk and requires a background investigation. Unless an appropriate background investigation is already on record with the Office of Personnel Management, you must undergo a background investigation. All conditions of the pre-employment security process must be met before an official letter of employment can be issued with a report for duty date.
If you are selected, you may be required to complete a one-year trial period.
In addition to the educational requirements, we are looking for at least one year of specialized experience related to this position as described below:
To qualify for the GS-11 level, you need to have at least one year of full-time experience equivalent to the GS-09 level defined as experience planning and carrying out studies and analyses supporting a national water program and identifying and evaluating solutions to water environmental problems.
Your answers to the online assessment will be used to evaluate your competencies in the following areas:
- Skill in applying biological/ecological knowledge in modifying or adapting approaches to resolving challenging technical issues.
- Skill in conflict resolution strategies.
- Ability to advise management on program requirements and issues.
- Knowledge of a wide range of concepts, principles, and practices in biology/ecology.
- Ability to Identify gaps or differences among programs and analyze whether the implemented strategies have the best likelihood of improving water quality and environmental outcomes.
- Skill in written communication.
- Knowledge of statutes, regulations, and environmental policies.
- Ability to develop and/or revise Agency/regional guidance and policies supporting implementation of water programs.
- Knowledge of contracting principles.
- Skill in project management.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
If you have part-time work experience, read this: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
You need a degree or combination of education and experience as described below to qualify for this position.
A bachelor’s or higher degree from an accredited or pre-accredited college or university.
Biological Sciences Series, 0401
Individual Occupational Requirements
- Degree: biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
- Combination of education and experience: Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Ecology Series, 0408
Individual Occupational Requirements
Degree: biology, or a related field of science underlying ecological research that included at least 30 semester hours in basic and applied biological sciences. These hours must have included at least 9 semester hours in ecology, and 12 semester hours in physical and mathematical sciences.
For information about accreditation requirements, visit EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
This position is in the bargaining unit.
Are you a Displaced Federal Employee? If so, please read the Required Documents section and visit the EPA website for additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures
EPA participates in E-Verify. E-Verify is an Internet based system operated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA) that enables participating employers to electronically verify the employment eligibility of their newly hired employees. For additional information: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
Except in special circumstances, those new to the federal government will be hired at the starting salary (step 1) of the applicable grade range listed above.
If you are selected, travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid by EPA. Any travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting to work in this position will be your responsibility.
If you are selected, your appointment may be extended beyond the initial not-to-exceed date to a maximum of four years.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are core values at EPA. Our excellence can only be fully realized by staff who share our commitment to these values. Successful candidates are committed to advancing equity and inclusion in the Agency’s workplace and mission. We encourage applications from candidates with a variety of personal experiences, values, and worldviews that arise from differences of culture and circumstance. At EPA, diversity is a vital element in bringing a balance of perspectives to bear on every challenge we face. We are committed to creating a diverse workforce because we know that the individual strengths and abilities of our employees make us a stronger organization. The more inclusive our employee base is, the greater the variety of ideas that are generated, and the more representative we are of the nation we serve. To learn more about how EPA values and supports our diverse workforce, visit Equal Opportunity Employment at EPA.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
We will review your resume and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the online assessment. Your responses to the online assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position. You are being evaluated under the category rating method which means, if you are determined to be qualified, you will be placed into the ‘Best Qualified’, ‘Well Qualified’, or ‘Qualified’ category. NOTE: Preference eligible veterans must be selected, or decline further consideration, before applicants who are ineligible for veterans’ preference can be selected (to learn more, visit Veterans’ Preference).
We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application materials, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. If you are referred for consideration, you may be subject to additional assessments.
NOTE: We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Security clearance: Not Required
Drug test required: No
Position sensitivity and risk: Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process: Suitability/Fitness
Documents to be submitted online:
NOTE: You should ensure your social security number, date of birth, and any other personal information are redacted.–Resume clearly stating your experience related to this position as described in the Duties section and Qualifications section. In describing your experience, you need to be clear and specific. We may not make assumptions regarding your experience.
–Responses to the online assessment questionnaire (you must complete this online – it is not a document you need to upload).
–College transcripts – required to submit either unofficial transcripts or a list of courses that includes school(s) attended, school address, course title, grades earned, completion dates, department, and quarter or semester hours earned. NOTE: Official educational transcripts are not required at the time of application; however, if you are selected, you must provide official transcripts before you start work with EPA. IF EDUCATION WAS COMPLETED AT A FOREIGN INSTITUTION: You must submit an equivalency evaluation with your application as described here: EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
–Veterans’ Preference Documents:Separated veterans claiming 5-point preference:
- – DD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service) or other official document/statement from the Armed Forces showing separation, discharge, or release from active duty; document must show separation is under honorable conditions (Honorable or General Discharge)
Separated veterans claiming 10-point preference based on compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more:
- – DD-214 Member 4 copy (or other copy indicating character of service); document must show separation is under honorable conditions (Honorable or General Discharge); and
- – VA letter stating overall/combined disability rating (percentage); and
- – SF-15 (use current version: SF-15 Form) (see page 2 for documents that can be submitted in lieu of the DD-214 and VA letter)
Other separated veterans claiming 10-point preference OR spouses, widows/widowers, or mothers claiming 10-point derived preference:
- – SF-15 (use current version: SF-15 Form); and
- – Other required documentation indicated on the SF-15
Active duty service members:
- – Certification from the armed forces documenting active duty dates, expected discharge/release date, campaign medals/badges, and character of service (a certification is any written document from the armed forces that certifies you are expected to be discharged/released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions (Honorable or General Discharge) within 120 days after you submit the certification)
–Displaced Federal employees under ICTAP/CTAP: copy of your most recent performance appraisal, proof of eligibility, and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, tenure, and duty station.
To learn more about submitting documentation, visit Uploading Documents to USAJOBS.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new windowLearn more about federal benefits.
Join EPA in protecting human health and the environment and enjoy many work life quality options! Working for the EPA offers you a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. To learn more about us, visit Life and Careers at EPA.
This position has portable work. If selected for this position, you may be authorized to telework after meeting eligibility requirements if approved by the supervisor/manager. Telework is available based on agency policy and/or applicable collective bargaining agreement which may not allow for full-time telework. NOTE: The agency is currently utilizing maximum telework flexibilities due to COVID. Once normal operations resume, you will be required to report to the location stated in this announcement.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
You are strongly encouraged to read the entire announcement before you submit your application for this position.
To begin the application process, click the Apply button to the right on this screen, follow the prompts to log-in/register, submit all required documents, and complete the assessment questionnaire. To be considered, you must submit a complete application package by 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the day the announcement closes.
All required supporting documents will be collected electronically via the USAJOBS document portfolio feature.
If you cannot apply online, you must contact the Human Resources Office listed below for assistance no later than three business days prior to the closing date of this announcement. You must provide complete application materials by the day the announcement closes.
For detailed instructions to assist you in ensuring your application package is received, go to EPA Announcement Policies and Procedures.
EPA provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities. Decisions for granting reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.
- If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process (submitting the application or completing the application process), contact the Human Resources Office listed below no later than three business days prior to the closing date of this announcement, and the Human Resources Office will work directly with you.
- If you are referred to the hiring official for consideration and need an accommodation during the selection process (e.g., writing sample or interview), you should notify the person who contacted you from the hiring official’s office.
- If you are selected and need an accommodation during the hiring process, notify the HR Specialist who made the job offer to you.
The National Reasonable Accommodation Coordinators will provide assistance to you, the Human Resources Office, and/or the hiring official as needed. For more information, see Reasonable Accommodation.
Agency contact information
Email: [email protected]
Environmental Protection Agency
US Environmental Protection Agency
Human Reources Office
26 West Martin Luther King Drive
Cincinnati, Ohio 45268
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your online occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the human resources office posting this announcement.