The WASH (Water, Sanitation and Health) Technical Advisor is responsible for providing a strategic direction to IOCC’s WASH programming, in accordance with IOCC’s strategy, international standards, and best practices in WASH. S/he is responsible for overall program technical design, development and implementation of the IOCC WASH portfolio in Syria, as well as providing guidance and training to IOCC and partner WASH staff. The WASH Technical Advisor will specifically focus on addressing water, sanitation and hygiene needs at the community level in Syria and provide quality assurance at both project and country levels. The WASH Advisor plays a key role in representing IOCC at key cluster and donor meetings and liaising with USAID-OFDA, , UN agencies, as well as various NGO partners. The WASH Technical Advisor reports to Syria Program Manager.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Management and Leadership
- Lead the development of IOCC WASH Strategy in Syria and ensure compliance with IOCC and inter-agency sector working groups and adherence to international standards and best practices in WASH projects.
- Provide technical advice to the IOCC and partner staff on WASH and environmental health issues in Syria
- Design WASH projects in Syria and develop proposals and concept notes and liaise with donors on technical aspects in consultation with the IOCC and partner staff.
- Provide overall guidance and direction to the program team to achieve agreed targets and strategic objectives, as well as build the capacity of IOCC’s partner staff in WASH program implementation.
- Oversee IOCC WASH project implementation in Syria and ensure quality implementation and compliance with international WASH standards and sector working group guidelines.
- Ensure all IOCC programs in Syria are applying best practices and are in line with global priorities and standards.
- Contribute to monitoring; evaluating and documenting program implementation against indicators.
- Advise Program Manager regarding activity progress and make recommendations for course correction, as needed.
- Represent IOCC in technical meetings and coordination platforms, including UN clusters and sector working groups, and align IOCC sector strategy accordingly.
- When possible, visit project sites frequently to develop plans, new proposals, monitor progress and ensure project implementation according to the contractual requirements of the donor(s)
- Manage project activities remotely and provide effective guidance to the team on-the-ground.
- Prepare and review project budgets before submission to HQ and donors and prepare or/and oversee the bill of quantities, as needed.
- Submit regular reports to the Program Manager regarding progress in attaining project goals, objectives and indicators and find solutions to potential challenges in project implementation.
- Write and participate in the preparation of WASH project reports to HQ and donors
- Identify WASH funding opportunities with local and international donors, such as USG, European, ecumenical partners, UN agencies, and International NGOs
- Maintain a positive working relationship with donors, national and regional governments, NGO, public and private sector partners with relation to the WASH sector
- Build IOCC WASH program through donor engagement, project design and proposal development, in collaboration with field staff and HQ and in accordance to IOCC strategy and donor requirements
- Undertake and assist with assessment of local conditions resulting from emergency situations affecting communities and vulnerable groups, including determination of priorities for interventions.
Qualifications and Requirements
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience implementing WASH emergency response programs in conflict settings, preferably at managerial level in country of assignment.
- Prior work experience in the Middle East with International NGO or another international agency.
- Ability to perform well as member of a team.
- Experience managing and overseeing WASH programs, including management of project budget and preparation of tenders and bill of quantities (BOQs).
- Experience managing, training and coaching staff
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and program planning skills.
- English is required, with strong writing skills; Arabic language would be a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, and tasks efficiently.
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail.
Education: Master’s Degree in Water Management, Civil Engineering, Environment, International Development, or a related field.
IOCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Candidates will be vetted to include background checks, employment verification and education verification.