Water Resource Engineer III
Salary Range: $5642.00 to $6800.00 per month
Closing Date: October 17, 2021
Summary of Work
The Water Development Division supports various efforts of the State Water Commission and its Secretary / Director of the Department of Water Recourses as well as the State Engineer. Specifically, the Investigations Section conducts feasibility assessments, completes various hydrologic and hydraulic modelling efforts, provides technical review of other studies and models, provides technical support to other areas of the agency, participates in various interagency groups and public meetings, and provides surveying services to the agency.
The individual in this position will provide support to the agency on Missouri River issues. This responsibility includes participation on various groups relating to the Missouri River and also providing technical support to staff directly involved in the Missouri River Recovery Implementation Committee. The individual will also be expected to work on areas not directly related to the Missouri River as assigned.
Specific anticipated tasks include:
- Development of a broad understanding of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineer’s operation of the Missouri River System
- Review of reports and preparation of memorandums and correspondence relating to areas of expertise
- Provide assistance to local entities relating to Missouri River issues
- Complete hydrologic and hydraulic models to address specific issues
- Provide technical review of hydrologic and hydraulic models
- Provide technical assistance as requested to other divisions within the agency
- Participate in interagency, intergovernmental, stakeholder, and public meetings
- Participate in the Missouri River Recovery Implementation Committee, and its sub-groups, as a technical representative of the State of North Dakota
- Communicate with the public and representatives from federal, state, and local governments
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited curriculum, with course work in hydrology and hydraulics
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet software
- Must be able and willing to travel as necessary
- Must have 3 years of practical engineering experience
- E.I.T. certification or a passing score on the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam by the end of probation
- Understanding of Missouri River System operations
- Working knowledge of surface water hydrology and hydraulics
- Working knowledge of HEC-HMS and HEC-RAS or similar software
- GIS experience
- Public speaking experience
- Two years of surface water hydrology experience
- Registration as a Professional Engineer
Applications will ONLY be accepted online through the ND PeopleSoft System.
- State of ND employees should access the announcement and application by signing into their ND PeopleSoft account at: https://www.cnd.nd.gov/psp/strp/?cmd=login, clicking on “my Career,” and selecting “Careers” in the drop down menu.
- Applicants who are not employees of the State of North Dakota can access the announcement and application by visiting: www.nd.gov/careers
- Application materials must reach this office by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
- In addition to the online application, applicants should upload the following documents:
- Cover letter (addressed to Human Resources Division);
- Copy of college transcripts; and
- The name, address, and phone number of three (3) professional references (no letters of reference please).
- For more Team ND benefit information, Please see. https://www.nd.gov/omb/public/careers/team-nd-benefits
- Application materials will be scored based on a 100 point job related personnel system.
- Applications should include information which directly addresses how the applicant meets the minimum qualifications and summary of work. It is very important to be thorough and detailed on all application materials.
- Applicants who experience difficulties during the application process should contact [email protected] or 701.328.3290.
- North Dakota State Water Commission does not provide sponsorships.
For questions regarding this position’s duties or requirements, please contact John Brintnell 701.328.2751 or [email protected].
TTY users may use Relay North Dakota at 711 or 1-800-366-6888.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The State of North Dakota and this hiring agency do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation and gender identity), genetics, religion, age or disability in employment or the provisions of services and complies with the provisions of the North Dakota Human Rights Act.
As an employer, the State of North Dakota prohibits smoking in all places of state employment in accordance with N.D.C.C. § 23-12-10.