Background / General description:
The Environment and Natural Resources Global Practice Sustainable environment and natural resources (ENR) management is at the heart of the WBG’s poverty agenda. Natural resources and biodiversity often constitute the social safety net of the poor, representing a food bank and often their only source of livelihood. Sustainable ENR management promotes a green, clean, and resilient world where natural resources – from forests to fisheries, freshwater, oceans, coastal zones and ecosystems – are managed to support livelihoods and strong economies. Sustainable ENR management builds a world better prepared for shocks and global challenges, helping countries limit their exposure to resource scarcity, more-volatile weather patterns, and the long-term consequences of climate change. The ENR GP has been established to deliver on the opportunities, benefits and outcomes offered by enhanced management of the environment and natural resources. One specific ENR GP responsibility is to support effective environmental risk management and sustainability by managing risk at the project level and creating opportunities to advance sustainable development, in part through the implementation of the Bank’s environmental policies.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
ENR GP is seeking to employ an Environmental Specialist who would provide environmental risk management support to World Bank financed projects with medium to high risks, and contribute to developing and supervising ENR projects. The specialist will be based at the World Bank Country Office in Delhi, India and focus on the South Asia region, India in particular. The specialist would work in the following areas:
• Identifying, reviewing and appraising new World Bank operations and ensuring that environmental issues are properly addressed in project documents through project-specific environmental analysis which may include issues related to environmental assessments, natural habitats, forests, pest management, safety of dams, projects on international waterways or on disputed areas, public consultations, and occupational health and safety;
• Providing implementation support to active Bank operations related to environmental safeguard policies and project-specific environmental requirements;
• Providing expert guidance to borrowers/clients in the preparation and successful implementation of project environmental assessment instruments/documentation, including Terms of Reference for the preparation of environmental instruments, such as environmental impact/risk assessments, environmental management plans, environmental management frameworks;
• Seeking and developing opportunities to improve and integrate sound environmental management and policies in Bank operations, including improving environmental benefits and providing value-added service, and building capacity of relevant local clients and other stakeholders;
• Coordinating and sharing information with Bank staff and consultants providing environmental risk management project support or working on other environment and natural resource issues;
• Contributing as required to the broader work of ENR GP on improving environmental sustainability; and identifying and pursuing innovative approaches;
• Contributing to preparation and supervision of projects in the areas of pollution and natural resource management, including forests, landscapes, coastal zone and fisheries
• Contributing to relevant analytical work;
• Collaborating with WBG staff across regions and across sector boundaries
• Leveraging Global Practice’s expertise and body of knowledge to strengthen internal and/or external client solutions; and
• Seeking to learn from more experienced staff and helping others to learn.
The specialist will be required, as needed, to provide a range of technical support to Bank projects and activities, including some of the following potential areas:
•Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA);
• Environmental Management Plan (EMP);
• Environmental Management Frameworks;
• Cumulative Impact Assessment
• Other forms of environmental assessments/analysis;
• Environmental risk analysis and management;
• Occupational health and safety management;
• Design and implementation of mitigation strategies in areas of risk;
• Project design in order to improve environmental benefits (positive impacts) and outcomes of the project;
• Engineering principals, practices, and methods and their application to environmental work;
• Design, construction, operation, and maintenance of infrastructure in relation to environmental, health and safety management; and
• A Master’s Degree in environmental sciences, engineering, natural resource management, or other relevant discipline;
• A minimum of 5 years of full-time relevant experience including the preparation and/or review of project environmental impact assessments, environmental management plans, capacity assessment and institutional strengthening, public consultation plans, health and safety management/plans, emergency/contingency plans, or other related project environmental plans/studies;
• Knowledge and experience related to environmental impact assessment and management in some of the key areas of economic activity with significant environmental implications (i.e. agriculture, water, energy &extractives, transport & ICT, urban & rural development, and natural disaster management).
• Understanding of the environmental regulatory and institutional framework in South Asian countries, India in particular.
• Familiarity and experience with Bank environmental safeguard policies and procedures (environmental assessments, forests & natural habitats, pest management, physical cultural resources, and safety of dams);
• Experience in designing and supervising projects in some of the following areas: pollution management, forests, biodiversity, landscapes, coastal zone management and fisheries
• Preferably experience in multilateral financial institution operations;
• Proven ability to exercise sound judgments in a work environment with tight processing constraints
• Ability to effectively communicate and provide guidance to Bank and clients’ teams;
• Proven record of good teamwork and delivering under pressure
• Excellent writing and communication skills in both local language and English.