CONTEXTE DE TRAVAIL :
Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity.
Handicap International is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
For further information about the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/
Present in more than 55 countries, Handicap International is composed of 2 operational directions:
– The Direction of Humanitarian Action
– The Direction of Development Action
REGIONAL RESPONSE OVERVIEW:
Handicap International’s Humanitarian Action Division Syria crisis related emergency intervention is implemented in the region since May 2012.
Handicap International’s initial intervention aimed at supporting persons with injuries and other vulnerable groups (including persons with disabilities, elders, among others). Handicap International continues to be one of the few organizations explicitly addressing the specific needs of these groups through community outreach, and by collaborating with community representatives, local stakeholders, authorities, and other implementing organizations in the field.
SYRIA CRISIS EMERGENCY RESPONSE IN LEBANON:
Within the frame of its emergency response to the Syrian crisis, Handicap International is present in Lebanon in North and in the Bekaa. HI intervention is currently designed upon two pillars which are
i) to enhance the capacities of local actors involved in physical rehabilitation and related psychosocial support services provision with a middle term vision and
ii) to maintain a capacity to respond to acute needs through HI direct services and / or referral to other assistance stakeholders: Identification of persons with functional limitations; Provision of rehabilitation care; Distribution of Assistive and Mobility Devices: Provision of P&O appliances; Provision of psychosocial support.
iii) to provide extended technical support to humanitarian partners across sectors seeking to improve Accessibility and Inclusion in their responses.
Considering the evolution of the humanitarian situation (closure of borders, chronicity of the crisis, decrease of funding) and as part of a middle term strategy aiming at supporting and reinforcing resilience of local stakeholders, HI objective is to progressively enhance the provision of physical and functional rehabilitation and/or psychosocial services by local structures (local NGOs, private/public structures) by growing collaboration and capacity building aiming at promoting the continuity and sustainability of services for most vulnerable communities in Lebanon.
DESCRIPTION DE POSTE :
Under the direct responsibility and support of the Head of Technical Unit, you will be responsible for the fulfilment of the following objectives:
– To raise awareness of UNICEF WASH staff and implementing partners on the role of the environment in creating and exacerbating disabilities among people with injuries, people with existing disabilities and people with other vulnerabilities
– To improve the situation of people with injuries, people with disabilities and other vulnerable persons regarding their access to UNICEF-supported WASH services and facilities which the general population of Syrian refugees already have access to
– To build the capacity and the practical skills of UNICEF WASH staff and their implementing partners to include people with disabilities and other vulnerabilities in their existing and future programs/activities through a process of identifying and assessing specific barriers to inclusion, planning actions to reduce or eliminate specific barriers, implementing the changes, and documenting the process.
Although the expatriate will not have direct management responsibilities, he/she will continuously supervise the Inclusion Assistants in Bekaa and Tripoli bases linked to the UNICEF WASH Inclusion project.
PROFIL ATTENDU :
-Bachelor’s degree in architecture, architectural design, universal design, civil/water engineering, or other Water, Sanitation and Hygiene-related technical training with NGO experience in disability and vulnerability programming
– Disability/vulnerability-related Master’s degree with solid, practical work experience in disability inclusion/physical accessibility within the WASH sector of humanitarian action
– 3 years’ experience in WASH activities, designing and implementing changes to reduce or eliminate barriers to inclusion preferred
– Experience in capacity building and project implementation in humanitarian contexts required
– Experience working in architectural design for PWD, vulnerable refugees, and other vulnerable persons preferred
– Experience in protection sector preferred
– Good organisational skills, co-ordination and the transfer of knowledge
– Excellent communication skills and a commitment to team work
– Ability to work under high pressure
– Ability to work in a tense context with strict security measures
– Proven experience in project writing and reporting
– A great sense of humour.
LANGUE(S) DE TRAVAIL :
Anglais : Courant
SPECIFICITES/PARTICULARITES DU POSTE :
– Statut : Salaried; salary according to experience (from 2 050 euros + perdiem)
– Start: 2016, ASAP
– Duration: 4 months (renewable)
– Living conditions: guesthouse shared with other expatriates