Job Number: 498589 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Job organizational context:
Work on the water network is being carried out by contractors engaged by NGO partners and UNICEF, and is being implemented in two phases. Phase I construction works have largely been completed and consist of a ductile iron primary transmission line connecting three boreholes to eight district storage tanks. Phase II design works (distribution network) have been completed, with construction works to commence in December 2016.
Work on the wastewater network will also be carried out in two phases; with Phase 1 comprising the construction of approximately 1,864 interceptor tanks (one tank for a cluster of approx. 5 households) which will connect all of the estimated 15,000 households. Phase 2 (solids free) will comprise the construction of two lifting stations and a small bore wastewater network, to convey solids free wastewater from the interceptor tanks to the internal wastewater treatment plant. Construction of Phase 1 is forecast to be completed by the end of 2016, with Phase 2 expected to commence in December 2016 in coordination with the phase II water network.
To ensure the appropriate management, coordination with all stakeholders, adherence to technical requirements and timely completion of the combined water and wastewater systems, UNICEF is seeking a WASH Officer (Networks) to oversee a portion of these critical projects in Za’atari.
Purpose of the Position:
The key purpose of this role is to oversee the project management and construction activities of the water and wastewater networks, ensuring adherence to the designs and technical standards, as well as effective coordination and monitoring of the project delivery teams.
Key expected results:
The effective performance of this role will result in the technical acceptance of the two networks and the timely and cost effective completion of the work, while ensuring the minimal disturbance of services to refuges in Za’atari camp. The WASH Officer will lead the relevant construction partners in the planning and management of construction activities to ensure a sustainable level of water and wastewater services.
Key Accountabilities, Duties and Tasks:
- Support the Project Coordinator to manage, coordinate and monitor the implementation of Za’atari water and wastewater systems – from construction through to commissioning phases
- Manage construction team partners (NGOs, Construction Supervision Consultant and Construction Contractors) in the construction planning and implementation of assigned construction packages.
- Ensure quality assurance, cost control and schedule management measures are in place for effective completion of assigned construction packages.
- Ensure construction safety and community engagement standards and expectations are upheld throughout the construction and operations phases.
- Ensure cross-sectoral and stakeholder coordination and liaison with other relevant technical sectors (site planning and energy) and camp management.
- Coordinate with the Community Mobilization teams to ensure that the communities are informed in advance of the type, scale, nature and schedule of the works.
- Provide inputs on the progress of the works on a weekly and monthly basis, and for specific reports, as necessary.
Qualifications of successful candidate:
University degree in Civil Engineering, Water/Wastewater Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering.
- At least two years of professional work experience in the engineering sector in commercial, consultancy, private or public water/wastewater entities is required.
- Advanced knowledge of the principles of water and wastewater designs is required.
- Proven experience in the design and oversight of the water and wastewater networks construction projects with at least one year of experience in construction management of civil engineering works in water supply and wastewater in urban and peri-urban contexts is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in the humanitarian sector (UN/UNICEF, government or NGO entity) dealing with large scale emergencies or displaced/refugee camp situations would be considered an asset
- Proven experience in the operation and maintenance of water and wastewater utilities/municipalities considered an advantage
- Excellent analytical, management, coordination, communication and interpersonal skills; diplomacy in negotiation, liaison and representation skills; self-awareness, high ethical and professional standards, cultural sensitivity and team work
- Ability to multi-task in a dynamic environment
Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
Competencies of successful candidate:
- Diversity and inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Planning and Organizing
- Leading and Supervising
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 18 Aug 2016 Jordan Standard Time
Closing Date 3 Sep 2016 Jordan Standard Time