Increases in temperatures in the desert country of Turkmenistan as occurring at a faster pace than in many other parts of the world and will contribute to increased evaporation rates of the Amu-Darya River, the nation’s main source of water. Furthermore, hydro-meteorological modeling suggests there will be a steady decline in precipitation nationwide. In the next 30 years, the amount of precipitation will slightly decrease, however by 2050 precipitation is expected to fall dramatically, reducing by as much as 22% by 2100 from current rates. Expected precipitation decrease in the central Asia region will contribute to a reduction of the flow of the Amu-Darya River by 10-15% by 2050. These two climate trends of reduced precipitation and increasing temperatures will be accompanied by an increase in the frequency and severity of disaster events caused by climate change (droughts, floods, and windstorms).
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen Turkmenistan’s adaptive and resiliency capacities by developing a national adaptation process (NAP). The objective will be achieved through the implementation of the following proposed outcomes.
Outcome 1: The institutional framework to implement the Paris Agreement is established.
Outcome 2: The evidence base for adaptation planning in the water sector strengthened.
Outcome 3: Capacity for adaptation planning strengthened.
The project will be implemented over a period of three years. The Ministry of Agriculture and Environmental Protection of Turkmenistan (MAEP) is the Senior Beneficiary of the Project and Government Institution responsible for the implementation of the project.
The project will establish an institutional coordination mechanism capable of multi-sector adaptation planning. However, initially adaptation planning will focus on the water sector. The work of building the information base for adaptation planning is largely focused on hydrology and meteorology as well as adaptation themes and actions.
Duties and Responsibilities
UNDP is the Executing Entity (EE) and Delivering Partner (DP) for the project. A Project Board (PB) will be established and serves as the project’s coordination and decision-making body. The Project Board is comprised of the Ministry of Agriculture and Environment Protection, UNDP and representative of other relevant ministries. The Project Board is responsible for management decisions, approval of project work-plans, project revisions and addressing any project level grievances.
UNDP Programme Specialist of Resilience, Climate Change and Energy is assigned with the responsibility for the day-to-day quality assurance of the project implementation.
The day-to-day administration of the project is to be carried out by a Project Manager (PM). The Project Support Assistant (PSA) will work in coordination with the UNDP Project Implementation Unit (PIU) to fully support the PM in implementation of all project activities.
Duties and responsibilites:
Working under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the PSA will be responsible for performing of the administrative support functions, which may include clerical work such as personnel, finance, filing/ registry, logistics and procurement within the set timescale and available budget. Specific responsibilities of the PSA include the following:
3.1. Ensure provision of effective financial services and assistance in project budget management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Prepare requests for direct payments, ensuring provision of required supporting documentation, provide timely feedback and follow up on the status of submitted payments;
- Ensure timely submission of correctly completed travel claims;
- Undertake cost estimates for different activities according to the needs of projects;
- Assist in developing detailed project budgets for all activities and outputs;
- Monitor project budget in terms of expenditures according to the work plan;
- Assist in preparing quarterly expenditure reports;
- Provide detailed information on finance issues during project audit exercise;
3.2. Provide effective logistical services to project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist project personnel and national/ international consultants to arrange travel within and outside Turkmenistan; more specifically support in development of itinerary, ticket booking/purchasing, arrangement of hotel reservation/apartment, transportation, translation/interpretation services;
- In coordination with Project Manager and UNDP office arrange preparation of visas for and timely registration of coming visitors making sure that visitors are aware of visas and registration procedures;
- Arrange foreign visas for project personnel for travels outside Turkmenistan as per approved AWPs;
- Prepare Travel Authorizations with proper supporting documents;
- When necessary raise travel related e-requisitions making sure correct use of chart of accounts;
- In coordination with Project Manager draft and compile necessary documentation such as agenda, compilation of list of participants for seminars, workshops, trainings, and other project related events;
- Make logistical arrangements for seminars, workshops, trainings and other project related events, including venue reservation, arrangements of meals, translation/interpretation services, and required equipment, office supplies, arrangement of printing handouts materials;
- Assist in customs clearance procedures by preparation of a package of necessary documents;
- Make necessary arrangements for registration of projects, publications and other printing materials;
- Arrange translation of documents when required;
3.3. Ensure provision of effective procurement services to project, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Assist in development of procurement plan for the project;
- Assist in announcement and wide dissemination of advertisements among potential suppliers;
- Act as Secretary for procurement evaluation panels facilitating receipts of offers, clarifications, their analysis, reference check and writing final evaluation report;
- Create e-requisitions for ICs/ other types of procurement in Atlas and ensure correct use of chart of accounts;
- Assist Project Manager in preparation of all supporting documents for contract creation;
- Create receipt of goods in Atlas upon delivery of goods and signing transferring report.
- Coordinate with Project Manager to complete performance evaluation forms for national and international short terms consultants;
- Arrange purchases using canvassing method for simple support services and goods including driving, translation/interpretation, maintenance, catering, suppliers, stationary, simple equipment (may include small scale purchase of office equipment and the like not exceeding 5,000 USD threshold);
- Provide detailed information on procurement issues during project audit exercise;
- Contribute to weekly summaries on Individual Contracts;
- Maintain procurement documents filling system;
3.4. Ensure provision of administrative services, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Serve as a custodian for stationary supplies, distribution stationary and keeping a log of distribution;
- Provide support to periodic inventory exercise; create matrix for project inventories, such as publication materials, visibility items and monitor in/out flow;
- Provide support to asset exercise; keep an updated list of project assets;
- Maintain documents filling system;
- Prepare minutes of the meetings and translate various documents;
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
- Skills in financial tracking and budget management;
- Effective listening, verbal and writing communication skills;
- Ability to work in and with diverse team;
- Ability to work under time constraints;
- Time management skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Relevant post-secondary school education (college, Technical and Vocational Education and Training).
- University Degree in management and other related field will be a strong asset;
- Training/ certification in finance is an asset.
5 years of substantial administrative experience in implementing development projects. Experience of such work within the UN system or other international development agencies is a strong asset5 years of substantial administrative experience;
Good knowledge of office computer use – word processing, spread sheets, etc.
- Good knowledge of English and Russian and working level of Turkmen language
The PSA will be based in the project office in Ashgabat. In addition, he/she is expected to travel as necessary to various parts of the country where the Project is implementing activities.
The following documents shall be required from the applicants:
- Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
- A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
- Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns or other materials.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.