ZemiTek, LLC is a Woman-Owned, SBA-certified 8(a) Small Disadvantage Business (SDB) based in the Washington, DC metro area. We have a strong record delivering innovative and high-quality solutions. Since 2007, ZemiTek has provided technical assistance, project management, information technology (IT), knowledge management, monitoring and evaluation, training and learning development, and institutional support services.
The water and sanitation advisor will serve as a member of the Water Team of the Economic Growth, Environment, and Agriculture Division (EGEA) within the Bureau of Africa’s (AFR) Office of Sustainable Development (SD). Among its technical implementation responsibilities, AFR/SD is tasked with providing technical support to USAID/Africa missions and USAID/Washington on water, sanitation, and hygiene, and also how water relates to health, agriculture, and natural resource management activities, and ensuring that the Africa Bureau complies with the U.S. Global Water Strategy and the Agency’s Water and Development Plan. EGEA works to achieve these objectives in collaboration with a wide range of partners across Washington and in the field, in other USAID bureaus, and in other U.S. Government agencies. The incumbent will report to the Water Team Leader and will join currently a team of three individuals.
The water advisor will provide research and analysis and technical, program planning, and design support to AFR/SD/EGEA on water-related issues, particularly those pertaining to water supply and sanitation services and integrated water resources management.
Roles and responsibilities will include:
- Coordinate Africa Bureau integrated water supply, sanitation and hygiene efforts within the larger Agency portfolio.
- Provide technical support and advice to USAID field missions in sub-Saharan Africa and to USAID/Washington on the strategic planning, development, implementation, evaluation, and reporting of water- and sanitation-related activities, particularly those that contribute to the strategic objectives of the USG Global Water Strategy and Agency Plan.
- Increase field mission awareness of water and sanitation programs and staff resources within USAID and facilitate use of these programs and staff resources by missions.
- Provide coaching and other capacity-building assistance to USAID staff and partners, particularly in field missions.
- Forge strong, institutional linkages within USAID and between USAID/AFR programs and other relevant U.S. Government institutions and development partners in water- and sanitation related activities.
- Assist in defining and analyzing Agency practices and priorities and in identifying opportunities for integration and synergies within other sectors such as nutrition, education, health and governance.
- Serve as backstop to the Senior Water Advisor and other members of the AFR/SD/EGEA team, helping to support all of the Africa Bureau’s economic growth, agriculture, and environment sector activities and responsibilities as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 6 years of relevant experience; preferably in a water-related and/or development-related field such as natural resource management, environment, engineering, hydrology, water management, or public administration. Masters degree preferred.
- Technical experience in international development and project implementation related to water.
- Demonstrated expertise and ability to investigate and provide consultative services on a broad range of technical questions and policy issues including natural resource management; sustainable WASH service delivery; and policy reform.
- Demonstrable familiarity with sub-Saharan Africa, particularly in the areas of Water, Sanitation, and Health (WASH) and integrated water resources management.
- Proficient analytical skills that demonstrate an understanding of the current concepts, priorities, and issues in program monitoring, data collection, and evaluation.
- Highly developed written and oral communications skills as well as strong interpersonal communication and team building skills to ensure effective coordination within USAID and effective advocacy of Agency positions externally with both specialist as well as non-specialist audiences.
- Ability to represent USG at international fora and provide thought leadership in the field.
- This position is based in Washington D.C but will require travel. Applicants should be able/willing to travel to sub-Saharan destinations.
- US Citizenship with the ability to obtain a Secret security clearance is required.
Please contact [email protected] for inquiries regarding this position.
ZemiTek is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other basis prohibited by law.