Please note that this position is contingent upon funding.
Reports To: Rural Water Services Manager
Country/Location: Kenya/Western Kenya region
Length of Contract: 4 years and 6 months
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, WASH, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Western Water Program
Western Water program seek to strengthen the water sector in Western Kenya by addressing underlying constraints in the system through data and technology, process innovation, coordination between sector stakeholders, and behaviour change. The project goal is to ensure efficiency of water service delivery, better use of water resources, strengthened sector governance, and increased investment by the private sector. The project targets the rural and urban water services, and water resources management in 8 counties: Kisumu, Kakamega, Busia, Bungoma, Kisii, Migori, Homabay and Siaya. On the Western Water program, CRS is part of a consortium led by Kenya Markets Trust.
The Rural Water Services Specialist will be responsible for coordinating rural water services related activities at the County level geared towards supporting improved services delivery for the targeted rural schemes in the project area. The incumbent will collaboratively work with the county government and other stakeholders to facilitate professionalization and regulation of rural water services through implementation of context-fit Service Delivery Models.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the day-to-day execution of rural water services component for the assigned counties aiming at supporting professionalization and regulation of rural water services.
- Support identification of strategic rural water facilities for infrastructural improvement.
- Organize and lead the implementation of project activities at the county level as outlined in the detailed implementation plan in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure learning properly accompanies project activities throughout the project cycle. Support accountability through coordinating project evaluation activities and guiding implementing partners in their efforts to reflect on project experiences. Analyze implementation challenges and report any inconsistencies and/or gaps to inform adjustments to plans and implementation schedules.
- Participate in WASH networks, meetings, and select technical working groups as appropriate to represent the project to ensure collaboration and project visibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Very good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Rural Water Services Manager, Chief of Party, Deputy chief of party Donor, Western water program consortium members, Country Representative, Head of Programming, Programming staff, Finance Manager, Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality, Regional Technical Advisors, HQ based Public Donor Liaison.
External: Government agencies, partner INGOs and local NGOs, peer agencies, community representatives, private sector actors, including financial institutions.
- Graduate/Master’s degree in a relevant discipline; Environmental science, or water engineering required.
- Relevant professional qualifications an added advantage.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience in water services delivery in Kenya and understanding water sector policy environment.
- Experience working in USAID funded projects is an added advantage.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships.
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion including gender equality.
- Good knowledge of gender responsive and/or transformative WASH system strengthening and governance principles, methods, and monitoring tools.
- Knowledge/experience in market-based approaches to develop WASH services.
- Experience working in the Kenya context, preferably in Western Kenya.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
What we offer:
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
CRS’ emphasis on family values supports benefits, including maternity and paternity leave, policies that promote exclusive breastfeeding, the availability of a baby room at the office, and flexible working hours where possible.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS Kenya strives to be a place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come and work, stay, and do their best.
CRS provides equal employment opportunity to all qualified employees and applicants for employment and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or handicap, medical condition and any other status protected by law. As an equal opportunity employer, CRS will recruit, hire, train and promote persons solely on their qualifications and abilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Primary Location: EARO-KE-Kisumu
Job: Program Management
Organization: Catholic Relief Services
Schedule: Limited Term
Job Type: Full-time Day Job
Job Posting: Sep 22, 2021, 8:51:57 AM