CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
Our client is an operational arm of the UN, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Their mission is to help people build better lives & countries achieve sustainable development. Their areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management & HR. Our client offers short & long term work opportunities in diverse & challenging environments across the globe. They are looking for creative, results focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines. With over 4,000 personnel & approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of our clients partners spread across 80 countries, their workforce represents a wide range of nationalities & cultures. They promote a balanced, diverse workforce, a strength that helps them better understand & address their partners’ needs & continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives & policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates. Our client values its people & recognizes the importance of balancing professional & personal demands. Their hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey & Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national govt’s & other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large scale procurement, project development, technical management & provides financial, HR & infrastructure related services. The functional objective of their hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient, effective manner & in line with the principles, rules & regulations of our client, in order to support the response to the current needs & national priorities in the region. Our client is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce. Their hub in Amman implements projects on behalf of UN agencies, bilateral donors & in close coordination with the gov.t & national authorities. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large scale procurement, project development & technical management. They provides financial, HR & infrastructure related services. The functional objective of their hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient, effective manner & in line with the principles, rules & regulations of the UN, to achieve the outcomes sought by the clients. The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans & procedures of the UN Security Management System & that of our client. Our client is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce & they are undertaking a project to enhance access to basic water services among Sinjar residents in Iraq, through rehabilitation of damaged water facilities, such as potable & / or storm water pumps, generators & parts of water treatment units. The project also entails procurement of equipment & tools such as hybrid water pumps, screen water filters or any needed equipment. The procurement will be based on incorporating innovative technologies, renewable & hybrid systems where applicable.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Water Engineer will be involved in the assessment, scoping, planning, design & preparation of technical documentations for components (BOQs, technical specifications & drawings) of a water supply system in Sinjar. The incumbent will be responsible for the following specific tasks but not limited to:
- In coordination with the area govt. authorities, scope the works to be executed on the identified water supply systems in Gulat, Nianea, Garshabak, Ayyashat & Sino within our clients project in consideration of the available project budget.
- Assess the functionality of existing wells in the project area with particular attention to the underground components & accordingly identify the ones to be rehabilitated.
- Assess the state of existing water pipeline in the project area & determine their rehabilitation requirements.
- Assess the state of storage reservoirs in the project area & determine their rehabilitation requirements.
- Identify the suitable solar powered submersible pumps to installed in each of the identified wells for rehabilitation in consideration of the well characteristics, the transmission pipe & the location / elevation of the storage reservoirs.
- Size & quantify the photovoltaic solar array required to provide sufficient energy for running the submersible pumps, include design of support structure.
- Size & specify standby generators required for the submersible pumps.
- Carry out design of all other components / facilities of the water supply system prioritized with the scope of our clients project.
- Preparation of bidding documents (drawings & BOQs, specifications) & submission of the same for reviews & subsequent use in the procurement of the contractor for the project.
- Define the implementation methodology & the technical means to use or adapt to each component of water supply facilities works.
- Prepare a comprehensive report for the assignment together with all accompanying technical documents.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Project reporting: This role works under the direct supervision of the Project Manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Water / Civil Engineering or other related discipline is required, possession of a Master Degree in related field is desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in water supply engineering, including design of town / urban water supply schemes & / or water treatment plants, is required.
- Excellent knowledge of both written & oral English & Arabic is required.
- Water / Civil Engineering or other related discipline is required, possession of a Master Degree in related field is desirable.
- Experience with solar powered water supply system is required including knowledge of submersible pumps.
- Competency & experience in the use of the software packages for the preparation of engineering drawings is required e.g. AutoCAD, WaterCAD, EPANET.
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision & direction.
- Capable of working with others in a participatory & capacity building manner.
- Ability to establish & maintain excellent contacts with colleagues, govt. officials,community representatives & contractors.
- Self motivated, versatile & adaptable to different cultures & people.
- Ability to multitask & prioritize work schedules.
- Strong community liaison, mobilization & negotiation skills required.
- Working knowledge water sanitation design software & MS Office applications is required.
- Knowledge of G Suit package.
- Good analytical skills, resourcefulness, initiative, maturity of judgment.
- Strong communications skills & ability to work with a team to achieve organizational goals.
- Good negotiation skills & the ability to bring consensus amongst people.
Team management: This role does not have any team management responsibility.
Further information: Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this role.