Ag Innovations is a 501c3 nonprofit that facilitates systems leadership and collaborative action in California around key issues including agricultural viability, fire and forest resiliency, water stewardship, and food systems. We serve our community by facilitating transformational collaboratives that help leaders think beyond their disciplines and unlock new ideas. Our methods have proven effective in stakeholder engagement, public input, and planning, which helps improve the public plans and policies that allow for a better future. We are dedicated to serving the public interest by helping people think and work better together to solve the complex issues facing all of us who depend on our natural and working lands.
We are growing, and have added a new position to our roster. The first Communications and Outreach Manager (C & O Manager) will support the organization by creating engaging, creative, and clear communications plans and campaigns that focus on organizational and project needs. Reporting to the Executive Director, the C & O Manager will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate Ag Innovations’s mission.
The C&O Manager will also provide internal consultation to Ag Innovations project teams, and will develop or support development of internal and public-facing communications. In addition, the C&O Manager will support the smooth preparation, integration, packaging and delivery of products and engagements in the larger context of our work.
If you are eager to apply and grow your talents to reach and connect people, then we look forward to hearing from you. A brief description of the job’s responsibilities and requirements are listed below. Visit aginnovations.org for a full job description and to learn more about us.
Organizational Communications and Outreach:
- Develop, implement and evaluate the annual communications plan in collaboration with the ED, Board, and Staff.
- Develop and implement cost-effective marketing and outreach strategies to communicate with a range of constituencies through printed and electronic media
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures and the Ag Innovation’s website
- Update and maintain organization’s website, on-line publications, and social media
- Support the packaging of electronic and print materials, with cohesive branding and professional appeal.
Project-Focused Communications & Outreach:
- Develop project-based communications and outreach plans, including goals and metrics, and lead implementation of those plans in conjunction with the project team. Work with clients or groups to help develop scope of plan and project, as needed by project team.
- Support generation of communications and outreach that drive engagement by being audience and outcome focused.
- Write articles and participate in the generation of project-based content for Ag Innovations and project websites, blogs, and newsletters.
- Support outreach efforts, including working with advertising, media, developing social media posts, packaging e-blasts, and newsletters, and event outreach.
- Provide and maintain cohesive organizational branding across projects as is possible within project guidelines.
- Track, report on and evaluate outreach results.
- Work with project teams to develop, implement and outreach regarding stakeholder surveys to understand input regarding public policies and plans
- Support visual communications, through graphic design and layout
- Support the development of story maps
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or equivalent. Demonstrated passion for and interest in any of these areas – collaboration, food systems, agriculture, and/or the environment in California.
- Experience managing and executing across several communications media
- Strong writing, editing, and verbal communication skills. Strong attention to detail, including proofing own work and that of others.
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Demonstrated working proficiency in writing, outreach, and communications including blogs, articles, press releases, and social media.
- Demonstrated results in communications and outreach campaigns
- Demonstrated working proficiency in Google Suite, Microsoft suite, collaboration tools, layout and design, and basic web editing.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently, with poise and professionalism.
- Ability to focus and complete job duties in a fast-paced, complex environment.
- Ability to communicate professionally, clearly, and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Values and practices teamwork and emotional intelligence with other staff, and has a commitment to a respectful workplace.
- Collaborates effectively and with discernment with clients and partners to support project outcomes and maintain AI mission and contracted role. Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork skills, customer service skills
- Maintains the personal flexibility and adaptability to function in an entrepreneurial nonprofit organization.
OUR CORE VALUES
- We believe that effective process yields effective collaboration
- Holistic: We acknowledge and operate in complex systems, and seek to help people understand themselves, each other, and the patterns and systems they operate in.
- Neutrality: We are solutions-neutral, but process advocates.
- Humility: We show up every day knowing that we don’t have all the answers.
- Inclusive: We facilitate to raise up voices that can go unheard without the invitation to participate
- Diverse: We celebrate diversity of background, race, economic status, and perspective by bringing it “into the rooms” that we facilitate.
$65,000 to $80,000 per year, commensurate with experience. Full time positions include health benefits via a group plan with Kaiser, an employer match for simple-IRA contributions, and professional development. Flexible work hours and location are available as the job allows.
Ag Innovations values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Interested? We invite you to submit a resume and cover letter to us at [email protected], explaining why you would be an excellent fit for our Communications and Outreach Manager position. If your submitted materials indicate a potential match, we will contact you directly.