Natural Resources Canada – Canada Center for Mapping and Earth Observation, GeoBase
Fredericton (New Brunswick)
This is a student position (Masters or PhD) of 15-20 hours per week. The hourly salary varies depending on the level of experience and (or) education, according to the Treasury Board student rates of pay. Payments will be made in equal installments three times per year.
For further information on the organization, please visit Natural Resources Canada
Closing date: 8 October 2021 – 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.
To be considered for Research Affiliate Program (RAP) work opportunities, you must meet the following criteria:
• Be recognized as having full-time student status by the University of New Brunswick (proof will be required) or eligible to enroll in graduate program at University of New Brunswick.
• Be the minimum age to work in the province or territory where the job is located.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to conduct research in the fields of GIS, Remote Sensing, Machine/Deep Learning, and Programming for disaster management applications. The focus of this research concerns extracting information from various sensor data (Lidar, satellite, terrestrial scanners, etc) to populate 3D building models. Through the development of automated techniques to characterize and attribute buildings on the ground, e.g. building occupancy, height above first floor, presence/absence of basement, disaster modelling, such as flood risk models, can be populated with this data, and thus be able to provide more accurate estimates of infrastructure risk due to these hazards.
The successful student will have the opportunities to interact with CCMEO staff, researchers and technicians. The day-to-day work will take place at University of New Brunswick (Fredericton campus).
The successful candidate should have a good work ethic, strong sense of responsibilities, and the ability to work in team environments.
Intent of the process
Student will be hired through the Research Affiliate Program (RAP) with the purpose to accomplish research and complete a thesis or dissertation. Duration of the RAP will depend on academic level: Doctorate Students (1-3 years). Extensions may be possible.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provide
A covering letter “Maximum of 2000 words.”
Contact information for 2 references.
A list of the courses you have taken as well as any courses that you are taking now, or that you will be taking this academic year
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
– Currently enrolled or eligible to enroll in Masters or PhD program in Geodesy and Geomatics Engineering, University of New Brunswick (for qualifications please see https://www.unb.ca/fredericton/engineering/depts/gge/graduate/index.html).
– Hold a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Geomatics Engineering or a similar field.
• Experience in analyzing and understanding geospatial data, including optical and/or SAR remote sensing datasets.
• Experience in Machine Learning and Deep Learning applications
• Experience in conducting literature reviews and summarizing information.
• Experience in writing research reports and making scientific presentations.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
• Communication and organizational skills
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Preference will be given to Canadian citizens.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
|Alexandra Furino – Human Resources Specialist Advisor|