FAOSEC aims at enhancing the agricultural productivity and advancing the sustainable use of land and water resources through their improved tenure, management, development and conservation. It addresses the challenges member countries face in ensuring productive and efficient use of land and water resources in order to meet present and future demands for agricultural products, while ensuring the long-term sustainability of the land and water quantity and quality. It promotes equitable access to these natural resources with a view to enhancing productivity, livelihoods and ecosystem services. It provides assistance to member nations in developing policies, programmes, best practices and tools in the fields of irrigation and drainage, soil conservation, drought mitigation, water rights, access to natural resources, and improvement of land markets.
The Adaptation Fund (AF) was established under the Kyoto Protocol of the UNFCCC, and since 2010 has committed US$ 720 million to climate adaptation and resilience activities, including supporting 100 concrete adaptation projects. FAO has been accredited with the AF in 2020 and intends to proactively play a key role mobilizing resources. Within the above context, FAO is seeking the support of a Consultant for the preparation of the AF proposals for review by the Secretariat and approval by the Board.
The purpose of this call is support Uzbekistan at the preparation of project proposal for AF.
Under the general supervision and guidance of Natural Resources Officer, the Consultant will contribute to the preparation of the Concept Note and full project proposal for Uzbekistan.
Supporting the formulation, drafting, development, and submission of the project proposal for Uzbekistan through the provision of relevant expertise.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Provide assessment for climate change adaptation and disaster readiness activities, with focus on adaptation strategies as they relate to land and water governance, natural resources management, regional climate change and water networking, and environmental governance activities through the review of current national strategies in Uzbekistan;
• Conduct research and develop a summary on the existing projects led by the international organizations and to make the assessment of the national strategies relevant to the CN’s topic in Uzbekistan;
• Develop, maintain and strengthen working relationships with key partners, including national ministries, local governments, international organizations, other donors, the private sector, NGOs, universities, and the media in order to identify and implement efforts to increase synergy among the key stakeholders;
• Organise and coordinate project related meetings, reviews and site visits;
• Preparation of the agenda and participation at the consultative meetings with national counterparts (both at national and sub-national levels), line ministries and key stakeholders;
• Jointly with the national consultant identification of the scope and geographical area of the project intervention;
• Supervision of the national consultants and their potential contribution to the development of the CN;
• Preparation and submission of the first draft of the project concept note as per the Adaptation Fund’s requirements for technical clearance to FAO Lead Technical Officer afterwards with AF HQs unit and then for endorsement by the Uzhydromet and Ministry of Agriculture;
• Revision and finalization of the first draft based on the feedback received from final validation workshop;
• Preparation of the agenda and participation at the consultative meetings with national counterparts (both at national and sub-national levels), line ministries and key stakeholders for the fully-pledged project document development;
• Preparation and submission of the first draft of fully-fledged project document according to the template from Adaptation Fund;
• Revision and finalization of the first draft of fully-fledged project document based on the feedback received from final validation workshop;
• Field missions if required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in Economics, development studies, environmental/agricultural sciences, political science, social science, international relations, business administration or a related appropriate field
• 3 years of relevant experience in climate finance and project/programme planning and monitoring, including practical experience in project formulation, appraisal, implementation, monitoring, communication and/or in financial and budget planning
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work
• Extent and relevance of experience in project/programme formulation
• Extent and relevance of experience in results monitoring and reporting
• Familiarity with climate finance mechanisms
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing)
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- For more information, visit the FAO employment website
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only applications received through the recruitment portal will be considered.
We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline
If you need help please contact: [email protected]