Technical Support Consultant to the Water and Sanitation Division for Guyana and Suriname
Background of this search: The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) is today the main source of multilateral financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. It provides loans, grants, guarantees, policy advice and technical assistance to the public and private sectors of its borrowing member countries. The Caribbean Country Department (CCB) is responsible for the promotion and development of Bank country/regional strategies and programming. The Department also leads and maintains the relations of the Bank with member countries; supports the processing, negotiation and implementation of regional and country-specific projects and programs; and promotes and coordinates the use of funds administered by the Bank.
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) through its Water and Sanitation Division (INE/WSA) supports LAC countries in consolidating and strengthening the structure of the water and sanitation sector, including solid waste, ensuring: prioritization of the sector within national agendas, definition of roles and responsibilities of the institutions, promotion of the development and application of public policies and standards that meet local needs and conditions, thus leading to increased coverage, access and enhanced long-term sustainability. There remains significant need to improve water supply in the English-Speaking Caribbean including improving the efficiency of the operations of Caribbean water utilities. However, Governments of the Caribbean are challenged to commit the necessary financing for these improvements and requests the involvement of private financing. There is also a need in some Caribbean countries for expansion of access to water supply, improvements in the collection, recycling, and final disposal of municipal solid waste, which requires capital expenditures.
The team’s mission: The Water and Sanitation Division (WSA) has an extensive and demanding portfolio in execution in the Caribbean Region, corresponding to several activities (Loans and non-reimbursable technical cooperation) related to water and wastewater, and water resources management. The main objectives of the Consultancy are to support INE/WSA in all matters related to operations in Guyana and Suriname, and other countries of the CCB Region, when needed.
The English-speaking Caribbean Countries, face similar challenges in the water and Sanitation including solid waste, energy and transportation sector and share a common culture and language. In addition, these countries also face similar challenges with respect to public-private participation. In this context, this consultancy has the objective to identify and screen new project opportunities in the different infrastructure sectors as well as assessing the viability of private sector participation.
What you’ll do:
- Provide support to the IDB Project Teams and actively participate in all aspects of project preparation and approval related to water, sanitation, drainage and solid waste in Guyana and Suriname (and other IDB countries, if the need arises), from the Country Office Guyana.
- Support the IDB Project Teams in all administrative aspects of project administration (including participation to project inspection visits and support in the preparation of inspection reports).
- Provide support to the Executing Agencies in the preparation of documents such as: (i) Bidding documents; (ii) Terms of references for studies to be conducted; (iii) Technical reviews; (iv) Annual Operations Plans; (v) Semi-annual Progress Reports; and (vi) Project Monitoring Report systems update.
- Liaise with Bank operations analysts and project executing units to follow-up on confirmed arrangements such as consultant obligations, mission scheduling, review of deliverables from consultants under the responsibility of sector specialist.
What you’ll need:
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
- Education: Master’s degree in Engineering or Environmental Science and a minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience: Field experience in working for multilateral, bilateral or NGO funded projects. Experience of IDB, UNEP or GEF projects and procedures would be an asset.
- Languages: Proficiency in English and Spanish.
Core and Technical Competencies:
- Areas of expertise: Training, working experience or certification in procurement and/or project management; Knowledge and understanding of the wider Caribbean region. Good communication skills (oral and written). Computer literate.
- Skills: Strategic Thinking: Ability to formulate objectives and set priorities, capitalizing on opportunities, and managing risks. Results Orientation: Ability to meet project goals and stakeholder expectations that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. Planning and Execution: Capacity to translate strategic goals and priorities into realistic and flexible plans, optimizing the use of resources, monitoring implementation of plans to ensure that key results are achieved.
- Type of contract: Consultant Full Time (CNS)
- Length of Contract: 12 months.
- Starting Date: November 2021.
- Location: IDB Country Office Guyana.
- Responsible person: Coordination and technical supervision of the consultancy will be carried out by the Sector Specialist – Water & Sanitation INE/ESA.
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
“Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.”
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, afro-descendants, and indigenous people to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.Additional Information
- External Opening Date: Sep 20, 2021
- External Closing Date: Oct 4, 2021
- External Contact Email: [email protected]
- External Contact Name: HR Service Center
- Job Field: Technical Support