The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Projects Directorate (PJ), Environmental & Natural Resources Department (ENR), Water Advisory Division (WAD) in JASPERS regional office in Vienna, a (Senior) Water Sector Engineer. This is a full time position at grade 6/5.
This campaign aims at establishing a reserve list for positions of (Senior) Sector Engineer within the Projects Directorate. Engagements will be made on a 4 year basis upon internal approval of these positions that are expected to take place in the second quarter of 2021.
This post is linked to JASPERS* Partnership Advisory.
Panel interviews are anticipated for the beginning of November
As a Water Sector Engineer, you will provide technical advice in the water sector to member states and accession countries of the European Union. In accordance with the JASPERS’ and EIB’s procedures the applicant will assess the technical viability and environmental sustainability of projects in the water sector to be co-financed by the Structural and Cohesion Funds and other EC-Funds. Particular focus will be on water supply and wastewater as well as flood and draught risk management. The work will ensure project planning, preparation and implementation in order to support the JASPERS mission and EIB lending activities and to contribute to the achievement of the related EIB objectives.
*JASPERS (Joint Assistance to Support Projects in European Regions) is a partnership between the European Commission and the EIB providing advisory and capacity building support to EU, Pre-accession and Neighborhood Countries for the preparation of sound investment projects to be co-financed by EU financial sources.
The successful candidate will report to the Head of Water Advisory Division and will be part of a multidisciplinary team of engineers, economists, and environmental specialists in the Water Advisory Division. S/he will be responsible for a portfolio of projects in JASPERS countries of operations or horizontal actions at division level. S/he will work closely with the EC and Managing Authorities and project promoters in countries under her/his responsibility.
The successful applicant will be responsible for a broad range of expertise delivery, in particular:
- Ensure the technical assessment of projects proposed by beneficiaries for EC grant funding providing advice on conceptual development and structuring of water projects; technical and environmental assessment; procurement planning, project implementation and reviewing masterplans, feasibility studies, EC grant application and environmental requirements, etc.
- Contribute to the review, preparation or completion of applications for funding under the Cohesion Fund, ERDF or IPA so as to assess compliance with EU regulation and conformity with EU policy.
- Advise on the planning and programming of sector investment activities (water supply, wastewater, flood and draught risk management) to improve access to funding from EU sources; contribute to the preparation of a project pipeline suitable for future EC grant finance.
- Contribute to the dissemination of international best practice, and skills needed to benefit of EU grants. Contribute to measures for institutional strengthening and capacity building in JASPERS’ beneficiary countries.
- Engage with JASPERS’ stakeholders in EU Member States and Accession countries, in EC and within EIB through excellent communication and relationship management capabilities.
- Supervise and monitor consulting contracts in relation to her/his assignments.
- University degree in engineering, with expertise in the area of water management.
- Master’s degree or equivalent would be an advantage.
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in water sector projects (key phases of the project cycle such as preparation, appraisal, implementation and management), and relevant methodologies (e.g. masterplans, feasibility studies, cost estimates, climate related issues).
- Preference in short listing will be given to candidates with experience in:
- Development of large and cost-efficient infrastructure projects in the water sector
- Preparation of Cohesion Fund and Structural Fund projects
- Knowledge of relevant EU sector policies and directives, international standards and best practices for the water sector (water supply, wastewater, flood and draught risk management)
- Insights in digitalization and automated water utility management
- Mitigation of climate related risks, assessing investment vulnerabilities to climate impacts and designing adaptation options to make investments climate resilient.
- Knowledge of standard IT tools.
- Excellent knowledge of English and/or French (*), with a good knowledge of the other. (Knowledge of other EU languages of the countries under the responsibility of JASPERS would be an advantage.)
Find out more about EIB core competencies here
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages.
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
By applying for this position you acknowledge the importance of maintaining the security and integrity of the Information of the EIB Group. In case of selection for the position you agree to comply with all measures (policies, controls, document classification and management) implemented by the EIB Group to prevent unauthorized disclosure of any information or any damage to the EIB Group reputation.
Deadline for applications: 14th October 2021
(*). We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities.