The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in developing countries. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to over 30 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other report and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in the US, Europe and other African countries. Many of our projects are carried-out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants. Aquaya’s primary funders are the US Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Conrad N. Hilton Foundation.
As Aquaya’s portfolio of research programs grows, we are seeking an experienced science writer to manage the following key responsibilities:
• Edit project reports and written deliverables to ensure clear, concise and accurate transmission of project results and findings;
• Edit research papers written for peer-reviewed journals, conference proceedings, and other venues to ensure the highest quality of scientific writing;
• Write research briefs, blog posts, project summaries, newsletter entries, website content and thought-pieces that translate research findings for broad audiences; and
• Collaborate on the writing and editing of funding proposals.
In addition to close collaboration with Aquaya staff members, this position will include engagement with organizations from various countries that partner with Aquaya to conduct research programs.
This position will be based remotely.
Experience and Education
• Demonstrated experience in writing and managing scientific communications in English.
• Preferred graduate degree in a scientific field.
• Experience with or interest in international development.
Skills and Attributes
• Strong work ethic and a commitment to delivery
• Native English speaker.
• Excellent English writing and communication skills.
• Outstanding organization and time management skills, with an attention to detail and an ability to establish systems to manage constant flows of information and deliver on deadlines.
• Proven ability to work closely with a small team and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
Commensurate with experience.
Please submit your resume via e-mail to [email protected] along with a thoughtful cover letter by October 18, 2021. Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In the e-mail subject line, please write ‘Science Writer’. No phone calls please.