Communications & Public Outreach Intern (TapIt Metro DC)
COG has an immediate opening for an Intern to assist with public engagement via events and outreach to partner organizations, and support regional Community Engagement Campaign (CEC) committee work. There are three major elements to the CEC campaign: a) Promoting the value and safety of tap water, via TapIt Metro DC. TapIt is a network of over 1,000 locations committed to refilling any reusable water bottle for free. b) Promoting the protection of water infrastructure and source water quality, via drought and landscaping messaging, and via Protect Your Pipes Protect Your Pipes is an educational initiative highlighting the importance of the proper disposal of grease, “flushable” wipes, and medications. c) Drought and source water protection messaging, in part via a Landscaping Guide.
Department of Environmental Programs
The Intern would work independently and in concert with another CEC intern, with guidance from COG staff, in coordinating regional outreach and events on the above campaign elements, and in supporting COG staff with committee work.
The responsibilities of the Intern may include, but not be limited to:
- Engaging with TapIt partners and other community groups to promote tap water.
- Assisting with TapIt and Protect Your Pipes campaign outreach and events staffing, including tabling and presentations at various public outreach events (ex. fairs, schools, COG jurisdictional events, Bike to Work Day booth).
- Brainstorming, planning, implementing, and evaluating regional advertising campaigns.
- Assisting with the production, ordering, and distribution of promotional materials.
- Writing a quarterly newsletter to TapIt partners, with assistance from COG’s Office of Communications.
- Helping to organize committee conference calls and meetings/webinars, take notes, and prepare call/meeting summaries.
- Responding to CEC committee member requests in a timely manner.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The position requires an interest in water/wastewater, public health, sustainability, and environmental stewardship, The Intern will demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative acumen (polite, energetic, enthusiastic), shrewd judgement, and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks. The Intern must be organized and diligent. Basic understanding of water quality is ideal. Some evening and weekend work is required.
Enrollment or completion of a Bachelor’s degree program in communications, marketing, environmental sciences, water resources, or a related field. Related work experience will be considered. Having a valid driver’s license is required.
A cover letter and resume is requested. A transcript, references, and/or writing sample may also be required. Must apply via COG’s online application process.
Salary: $ 15.00/hour undergraduate, or $17.00/hour with graduate experience
Effective date: Immediate. Open until filled.
Duration: Minimum of one year of commitment. Full-time or part-time.
COG is an EEOC Employer