Millennium Water Alliance
Kenya Resilient Arid Lands Partnership for Integrated Development – Kenya RAPID+
Job Title: Water Intervention Manager and Market Systems Development Specialist – this position is contingent upon funding.
The Water Intervention Manager and Market Systems Development Specialist will report to the Program Director and provide overall coordination and management support across the RAPID+ program for the program’s water interventions and provide technical support and coordination for all market related activities and the adoption of market systems development that stimulate growth in the ASAL counties of Kenya. You will focus on leveraging the water delivery expertise in the partner entities to ensure high quality, timely delivery of program results. You will support Kenya RAPID and partners to work with market organizations to create incentives that will take these markets to scale. You will also support the markets to develop systems that function more effectively, sustainably and beneficially in the ASAL communities. Within MWA, you will report and work closely with the Kenya RAPID+ Program Director, and closely collaborate with the other sectors of the program in governance and IWRM/Rangeland Management and cross cutting sectors such as gender and multiple uses of water. You will also work closely with the Kenya RAPID+ partners, specifically the County coordination units in the five ASAL counties of implementation, as well as the county governments in all aspects of the sector. For all water interventions you will ensure that results are being achieved as planned, providing necessary trouble shooting and support, and ensuring the sharing of best practices across the program partners.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
Programme and Technical Roles
- Provide management support and coordination for all of the water delivery interventions across the program counties and partners.
- Support and leverage the water engineering and systems expertise of the program partners and ensure learning and adherence to common standards.
- Support with building capacity of market actors to develop value chains for ASAL products
- Build the capacity of partner agencies in production and market systems development
- Contribute to capturing of lessons learnt during project implementation and developing concepts and proposals for future work
- Support Kenya RAPID+ and county governments to map and analyze and operationalize market systems business models.
- Support Kenya RAPID+ in identifying opportunities for growth of existing and creation of new markets in the ASAL areas
- Support Kenya RAPID+ to establish market development partnerships with private and public sector players to promote growth of the market systems
- Provide support to the Kenya RAPID+ program to improve livestock productivity by promoting fodder development, improved animal nutrition, animal health, breeding, and livestock marketing.
Monitoring, Learning and Reporting
- Collect and analyze program data, capture and share lessons learned and best practices for specific projects to facilitate improvements in decision-making and contribute to market systems development learning agenda.
- Support the development, execution and periodic review of program MEL
- Support MEL personnel in analysis of field data to be used in program reporting, learning and program improvements, including qualitative and quantitative statistical analysis and narrative from MWA Programs
- Support the preparation and review of quarterly and annual program progress reports
- A Master’s of business administration preferred, minimum bachelors in business, economics or a related technical discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years of practical experience in business and market development. Experience in livestock marketing and processing, livestock marketing, dairy/meat processing, agribusiness management and pastoral livestock systems a bonus. Previous experience working in ASAL areas of Kenya is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in water service delivery and/or water market systems is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience of successful management, including management of functions of complex, multi-activity projects.
- Experience engaging partners and strengthening partnerships. Experience working with county governments and government business policy support a plus.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment
- Experience in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint,) budget management systems
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Analytical skills and experience understanding and assessing risk and opportunity in businesses and business strategy.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Very good relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally.
- Team leadership abilities with diverse/multi-disciplinary teams.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented, and results-oriented.
Location: Applicants must have the right to work in Kenya and will be based in Nairobi with travels to project sites.
How to apply
Application: Interested candidates should submit applications via email to [email protected] by 4th October 2021. Application should include cover letter and detailed CV with three referees including one from current/immediate supervisor. The email subject line should be titled: Water Intervention Manager and Market Systems Development Specialist**.**