Program Manager (Global Resilience Practice - Latin America & the Caribbean)
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
100 Resilient Cities – Pioneered by The Rockefeller Foundation (100RC) is dedicated to helping cities around the world be better prepared for, and quickly rebound from, 21st century shocks and stresses. Our program works with 100 member cities from around the globe for whom it provides four kinds of value: 1) Financial and other support for putting in place a new city resilience leader, the Chief Resilience Officer; 2) Support for development of a robust city resilience strategy; 3) Management of a peer-to-peer network of member cities who can learn from and help each other; and 4) Connections to solutions, service providers, and other partners who can help cities implement their resilience projects. 100RC seeks to increase awareness of the importance of resilience thinking, to catalyze a new community of urban resilience practitioners, and to spur the growth of a robust ecosystem of resilience-focused solutions and solution providers.
ABOUT THE POSITION
100 Resilient Cities is looking for a Program Manager for its Latin America and Caribbean Regional Office, based in Mexico City. Program Managers play a key role in our Global Resilience Practice. Program Managers work collaboratively to provide strategic and program planning; project management support; technical and organizational assistance; and facilitate efficient and quality communications with our member cities and internal teams.
Externally, the Program Manager (PM) will assist Associate Directors to skillfully manage and lead an ambitious urban resilience agenda with senior city leaders, national governments, community stakeholders, academia and private sector partners. The PM is responsible for coordinating and managing the delivery of local events, helping with local/cultural adaptation of our program including translation of materials, conducting research which helps the Associate Director and 100RC senior leadership navigate current affairs within the city and region, and provides support for presentations, workshops, conferences, and other local activities.
Internally, the Program Manager will work in close collaboration with Associate Directors and other functional teams of 100RC to provide quality assurance of milestones and deliverables from member cities. PMs are able to skillfully manage resources, timelines, vendors, and budgets with transparency and foresight. PMs also provide diligent systems documentation to improve our global coordination and efficacy. The PM facilitates capturing, sharing and distributing knowledge and lessons across 100RC.
PMs must demonstrate flexibility, adaptability, an interest in supporting a collaborative team, and exceptional project management skills.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
1. External Project Management
- Support a portfolio of cities to ensure positive, clear, and productive relationships with city contacts, partners, and contractors.
- Navigate a high degree of complexity in scheduling, organizing and managing meetings, follow up and tracking action items.
- Prepare, create, and customize materials as needed for city engagements, general outreach, meetings, presentations, etc.
- Plan, manage and oversee the quality of core in-city activities such as workshops, conferences and key events
- Support and follow up on the implementation of priority projects in selected cities.
2. Internal Project Management
- Oversee and ensure progress along a critical path of milestones from member cities; brief and elevate on progress, performance, and quality
- Proactively manage timelines, data, and deliverables, updating 100RC databases
- Work closely and coordinate with contractors and partners to oversee budgets, resources, and grants.
- Ensure proper documentation and data management in systems to track city performance (Salesforce, Excel)
- Manage the production and translation of 100RC materials and strategy deliverables appropriate for the local context and information sharing across 100RC
- Prepare materials for internal governance approval, review, and communications to the 100RC executive team.
3. Information Sharing (between 100RC teams)
- Coordinate across 100RC to improve communications and streamline systems for efficiency in support of team operations.
- Document, capture, and distribute lessons, insights and resources within the portfolio synthesis
- Elevate opportunities and challenges emerging in city to appropriate teams; coordinate and communicate effectively.
- Build specific knowledge and actionable insights for 100RC teams to better interface with cities in the portfolio, including political, economic and urban policy information.
- Support the Associate Directors with developing understanding city resilience needs, key actors within the city, and other information to improve our partnership and their resilience performance.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree with at least 5 years of related experience in fields such as international relations, urban planning, sustainable development, social equity, economics, political science, disaster risk reduction, or financing for urban development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; full proficiency in oral and written English and Spanish is strictly required. Knowledge of Portuguese is highly desired.
- Authentic connection to urban resilience and urban planning in Latin America and the Caribbean, and passion for 100RC's mission
- Experience engaging with city and national governments in Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as actors and organizations across sectors (public, private, nonprofit)
- Good understanding of how city government functions, with specific knowledge of LAC city governments. Experience related to urban or municipal strategic planning, project implementation, budgeting, public procurement, or infrastructure development will be highly valued.
- Exceptional project cycle management skills.
- Solid operational skills, including ability to work and deliver projects to deadlines independently and proactively
- Excellent communications and writing skills and confidence to engage with officials in cities around the region.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
100RC offers a competitive package of salary and benefits, commensurate with experience. The position is based in Mexico City and will require domestic and international travel.