Postdoctoral Fellow (Hydrology, River-Coastal Science and Engineering)
The Department of River-Coastal Science and Engineering at Tulane University is seeking applicants for a Post Doctor appointment. We are specifically seeking outstanding applicants with a background in one or more of the following areas: hydraulics, and numerical modeling of riverine and urban/suburban storm water systems. This position reports to Dr. Ehab Meselhe.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Develop and apply models, perform data analysis and interpretation of hydrologic and hydraulic systems and simulation results;
- Write technical papers, present at meetings, workshops and technical conferences;
- Conduct various research tasks such as code development and customizations as needed;
- Participate in field data collection in support of research and modeling activities;
- Participate in writing proposals to generate external funding streams.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, results-driven professional with sound judgement, excellent interpersonal skills, and the flexibility to adjust to changing priorities in a demanding, fast-paced environment. The Department expects to offer a competitive salary and benefits commensurate with a candidate’s skill and experience. This is a full-time position.
Required qualifications include:
- Ph.D. in Engineering, Geoscience, or related field is required.
- Experience in model development and applications either as part of the graduate research or prior professional experience.
- Department of River-Coastal Science and Engineering operates on multiple computational platforms, so candidates should have scripting and programming skills.
Desired qualifications include:
- Familiarity with Delft-FEWS; National Water Model (NOAA-NWC); WRF-Hydro; HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, EPA-SWMM and/or other FEMA-type modeling and mapping applications
- Experience with GIS software and scripting languages.
- Familiarity with widely used numerical modeling packages
- Candidates with a professional engineering license or the ability/intent to obtain one will be viewed positively.