The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) supports the transformation to More efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems, for Better production, Better nutrition, a Better environment and a Better life, leaving no one behind.
The Sub-Regional Office for Central Africa (SFC) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to sub-regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the sub-region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. SFC also advises on the incorporation of sub-regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the sub-region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. SFC develops and maintains relations with sub region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (ECCAS and CEMAC). The Sub-Regional Office supports sub-regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of sub-regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the sub-region.
The post is located in Libreville, Gabon.
The Land and Water Officer reports to the Sub Regional Coordinator, receives technical guidance from the Natural Resources Management Division (NRM) at FAO Headquarters and works in close collaboration with the Senior Land and Water Management Officer at the Regional Office for Africa (RAF).
Supports the sub-regional multidisciplinary team on issues related to Land and Water Resources; Supports programmes and projects in the field of Land and Water; Promotes responsible governance and sustainable use of land, soils and water resources for the benefit of people and communities.
Comprehensive technical and policy expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of Regional programmes, projects, products and services in accordance with Regional objectives and FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
• Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
• Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
• Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
•Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
• Provides advice to countries and sub-regional development organizations (ECCAS and CEMAC) in the identification and formulation of programmes and projects in the field of land and water resources governance, development and management governance.
• Provide technical backstopping for the implementation and monitoring of national and sub-regional projects on land and water governance, development and management;
• Provides advice on priorities for FAO assistance to countries as well as in establishing networks of experts in the sub- region on land and water governance and management issues.
• Provides advice to countries in the formulation of policies, strategies and guidelines in sustainable land, soil and water governance and management.
• Identifies and promotes the adoption of good practices in sustainable, land, soil and water governance and management.
• Coordinates the development of national capacities on land and water governance, development and management, including its inclusion in extension delivery and in training curricula.
• Contributes to the development of knowledge products, promotes and strengthens knowledge sharing between different stakeholders in the sub-region.
• Organizes and participates in sub-regional workshops, seminars and conferences in soil and water management and sustainable natural resources management in general
• Performs other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in rural development, irrigation, natural resources management, environment, hydrology or related field
• Seven years of relevant experience in land and water resources and environmental related activities, including land and water resources/ecosystem assessment and management as well as water based project formulation and implementation
• Working knowledge of French and English
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of knowledge of land and water resources assessment/management tools and methods
• Extent and relevance of experience in analyzing land and water management and environmental related issues
• Extent and relevance of experience in the use of participated and integrated (cross-sectorial) land and water –use, water based project formulation, implementation, ecosystem assessment/management, and geo-statistical/planning and territorial development tools and methods, ecosystem assessment/management and geo-statistical/ spatial analysis for sustainable land and water governance and development
• Ability to mobilize resources _________________________________________________________________
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- Extension of fixed term appointments is based on certification of performance and availability of funds
- FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salary.htm
Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include:
• Dependency allowances
• Rental subsidy
• Education grant for children
• Home leave travel
• 30 working days of annual leave per year
• Pension fund entitlements under the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
• International health insurance; optional life insurance
• Disability protection FAO encourages a positive workplace culture to increase inclusivity and diversity within its workforce. FAO applies measures in which all staff members contribute equally and in full to the work and development of the Organization. This includes:
• elements of family-friendly policies
• flexible working arrangements
• standards of conduct.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile;
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application;
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile;
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at http://www.whed.net/
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications;
- Incomplete applications will not be considered;
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered;
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]