Open date: July 27th, 2021
Next review date: Friday, Oct 1, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Friday, Dec 31, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Post-doctoral Research Position: Remote Sensing and Environmental Data Science
Applications are invited for appointment as Post-doctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Land, Air, and Water Resources, the University of California Davis. We are seeking a highly motivated scholar to develop remote sensing algorithms and data-driven machine learning analytics for improving ecosystem resilience and agriculture sustainability. The candidate will be involved with projects on monitoring, modeling, and forecasting eco-hydrological dynamics. Within overarching project goals, the candidates will have intellectual freedom to develop and pursue the research directions that they find most interesting.
The candidate will be based at the Remote Sensing and Ecosystem Change Lab, University of California, Davis. The candidate will also have the opportunity to collaborate with scholars across diverse disciplines from multiple institutes. This position’s direct supervisor will be Dr. Yufang Jin ([email protected]). Mentorship will focus on helping the candidates to meet their professional development goals.
● 90%: Conduct applied research on
o Develop and validate algorithms to map ecosystem health, functions an properties from multi-sensor and multi-scale imagery
o Build AI-based statistical models to predict key ecosystem conditions and services, e.g., plant water stress, vulnerability to climate change, and agriculture production across scales.
o Develop workflow to support decision making
o Develop and pursue new research directions related to integrated remote sensing, geospatial data science, and machine learning approaches in natural and/or agricultural landscapes
o Coordinate project group meetings with stakeholders from government, academic, extension, agricultural, tech, and private sectors
o Prepare manuscripts for publication
o Present results at conferences and publish results in peer-reviewed journals
● 10%: Extension, Mentorship, and Outreach
Salary range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits include university staff privileges; group medical, dental, vision, AD&D, and life insurance options.
Anticipated start: As soon as possible.
Position duration: The position is for 12 months initially, may be renewed based on funding and contingent on satisfactory progress.
Percent time: 100% (full-time)
For further information about the position, contact Dr. Yufang Jin ([email protected]) with ‘Post-doctoral research position: Sensing and Environmental Data Science’
The University of California, Davis, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), physical or mental disability, age, medical condition (cancer related or genetic characteristics), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or service in the uniformed services (includes membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service, or obligation for service in the uniformed services) status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran, in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws, and with university policy. As required by Title IX, the University of California, Davis, does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs, admissions, employment or other activities. https://www.ucdavis.edu/statement-nondiscrimination/
Basic qualifications(required at time of application)
- Ph.D. in Ecology, Geography, Forestry, Plant Science, Environmental Science, Hydrology, Geospatial science, Data Science, Applied Statistics, or other related field by the anticipated start date
Additional qualifications(required at time of start)
- Excellent quantitative skills, such as applied statistics and machine learning;
- Solid programming skills (e.g., Python, R, or Matlab);
- Demonstrated ability to analyze large complex datasets;
- Demonstrated research capabilities required to carry out independent, innovative and insightful research;
- Strong scientific communication skills as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, and conference presentations;
- Strong interest in interdisciplinary studies;
- Willingness to collaborate and ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Familiarity with GIS and image processing software such as ESRI ArcGIS, QGIS, and ENVI;
- Experience working with remote sensing data, including airborne or spaceborne multispectral, hyperspectral, lidar or radar data;
- Experience in data fusion and data-model integration.
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter – (one page)
- Graduate school transcripts – (unofficial copies acceptable)
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion – Contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion documented in the application file will be used to evaluate applicants. Visit https://academicaffairs.ucdavis.edu/faculty-equity-and-inclusion for guidelines about writing a statement and why one is requested.
- 3 required (contact information only)
Help contact: [email protected]