Description of task
Under the direct supervision of UN’s Climate and Environment Advisor to Somalia, the UN Youth Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
- Support the UN Environmental Advisor to Somalia to carry out their duties
- Support on data collection and interpreting reports while providing clear recommendations from learnings
- Support the management of research programs and help the advisor to deliver quality products
- Help in writing up meetings and keeping on top of action points
- Support in developing strategies and plans as well as keeping on top of monitoring and evaluation of the environmental aspects of the UN Cooperation Framework.
- Research opportunities and setup meetings with partners in Nairobi and regionally to look at new programs and projects
- Be part of the team and help as per needs arising.
- Come up with power point presentations and quality documents on Climate Security approaches in Somalia.
Required degree level
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Educational additional comments
Climate Change, Environmental Management, Ecosystems, Nature Based Solutions, Environmental Science or similar types of education or research or practical experience
Working in Conflict environments, working in areas of climate change and environmental protection, environmental research, links between climate and conflict and an understanding around nature based solutions to mitigate or adapt communities to climate change.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Somali(Optional), Level – Working Knowledge
Area of expertise
Other development programme/project experience
Area of expertise details
Learning and development are a central part of the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment and take place before, during and after his or her assignment in the field. Ideally, offering diverse opportunities for learning and development aim to strengthen the volunteer’s skills and competences, improve the quality of the assignment and keep the volunteer’s motivation high.
Learning elements for the UN Youth Volunteer include the development of:
- Professional skills: including specific competencies and reflection on assignment-related abilities; and on-the-job skills such as time management, problem solving, team building; and career preparedness such as interview skills, CV preparation, job searching.
- Inter-personal skills: including communication and listening skills; multi-cultural awareness and cultural competency; and conflict and stress management.
- Volunteering-related skills: including leadership; civic responsibility; and engagement and active participation.
Beyond the learning opportunities provided by UNV, the host agency will support knowledge and capacity development in the technical areas that are relevant to the UN Youth Volunteer’s assignment. The host agency will provide, at its expense, UN Youth Volunteers with equal opportunity to participate in training courses and workshops offered to its personnel.
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Managing Performance, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Self-Management, Technological Awareness, Vision, Working in Teams
Prerequisites This assignment is funded by the Government of the Republic of Ireland, therefore only the following are eligible to apply: Irish citizen or a European Economic Area national with an unrestricted right to reside in Ireland or have a declaration of refugee status from the Minister for Justice and Law Reform. This is a UN Youth Volunteer assignment and eligible candidates must be between 18 and 29 years of age throughout the assignment. Selection process Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The selection will be done by the UN Host Entity at the level of the country of assignment, via competency-based interviews held via skype or telephone. Selected candidates will be invited to an assignment preparation training. How to apply Please apply via the link below. You can then either log in if you already have an account or register via ‘Candidate Signup’. You may apply to a maximum of three assignments per advertisement and indicate your order of preference in the ‘Additional Remarks’ section of your profile. Application deadline: 29 September 2021