Global Director of Policy and Campaigns
Extreme poverty won't end until everyone, everywhere has clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene.
Do you want to use your senior leadership, campaigns and policy expertise to play a vital role in making clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone everywhere? We are seeking a leader with a global mindset, who will inspire and motivate our talented policy and campaigns teams across the world, will partner effectively with our programmes, and will support our dynamic federation to achieve our mission.
For millions of people around the world, clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene are still not part of normal life. We believe this has to change. WaterAid is determined to make these three essentials normal for everyone, everywhere within a generation, changing lives for good. We need your energy and expertise to help make it happen.
We are looking for an entrepreneurial and self-motivated individual who is strategic, collaborative and impatient for change. The right candidate will be an inspirational leader with experience of working in complex organisations to deliver policy change at both national and international levels. You will understand how to influence a range of actors and have a track-record of delivering innovative and impactful campaigns. You will have built partnerships across sectors and will have an understanding of how to work effectively with a range of stakeholders from the private sector to national governments to grassroots civil society movements. Most importantly, you will have a strong commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these.
Working with us, you will have access to a wide range of benefits including generous annual leave and additional leave purchase, exceptional pension, agile working, an employee assistance programme and fitness and social initiatives. You will also be joining one of the UK’s Best Workplaces™ acknowledged by 2018’s Great Place to Work®. With a commitment to our vision, you’ll get inspiration from the change you help make happen. We appreciate and respect different people and ideas, allow the chance to grow and the space to be yourself at your best.
By 2030 we want everyone, everywhere to have clean water and sanitation. Help us make it happen.
To apply or to download further information on the required qualifications, skills and experience for this exciting role, please visithttps://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/ quoting reference code 3753.
The deadline for applications for this role is 9am GMT on 31st October 2018.
This is a post for which WaterAid may, if necessary, apply for a certificate of sponsorship (work permit). The process is subject to regulation by UK Visas and Immigration. The SOC code is 1115.
Required skills, experience and qualifications
- An inspirational leader with strong strategic vision and exceptional analytical ability combined with the energy, drive and creativity to maximise WaterAid’s impact
- Successful track record of policy and advocacy work in a senior position, lobbying and influencing institutions and governments that has resulted in concrete improvements in development outcomes
- Experience and/or insight into influencing government policy in developing countries and how to flex approaches to different political contexts
- Substantial experience of building and nurturing high performing, geographically dispersed teams, with a leadership style that gets the best of others through both empowering and holding to account
- Passionate about the importance of water, toilets and hygiene and able to be credible in WASH policy debates
- Experience of leading and building effective working relationships in federated or other complex stakeholder structures where the ability to influence and deal with the ambiguity of a matrix structure is important
- Knowledge and experience of working with and/or influencing the private sector
- A strong appreciation and sensitivity to the differing cultural contexts in which WaterAid works and a leader in promoting and valuing diversity
- An understanding of international development, multilateral and bilateral institutions, major international development agencies and civil society networks, and of the opportunities for influencing these
- Highly credible. An excellent networker, communicator and effective influencer with a high level of emotional intelligence. Able to be a compelling ambassador for WaterAid on the domestic and international stage, influencing policy makers and opinion formers and building public support
- Effective decision maker with the confidence to innovate and drive through new and effective approaches
- Fluency in spoken and written English essential and fluency in languages spoken in WaterAid’s countries of operation highly desirable
- Experience of living and working in a developing country is highly desirable
- Ability to travel extensively (circa 6-8 weeks a year) is essential